Hedgehog in class!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha

Mmm Helicobacter pylori..
Today in Botany 380 class we learned about Sonic the Hedgehog signalling! Has anyone else learned this pathway in any animal development classes? If anyone knows, I was wondering why it is called "Sonic the hedgehog"? And why the signalling molecule is referred to as a 'hedgehog'?

sonichedgehog.jpg

From: http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=3470&a=12684&l=en

About the hedgehog

In 1980, the researchers Nüsslein-Volhard and Wieschaus published a piece of work for which they received the Nobel Prize in 1995. They had studied the embryo of the fruit fly and the effects of gene mutations. In embryos with a certain mutation, the appearance was changed such that a specific embryonal structure became scattered instead of arranged in bands. The appearance of these embryos was reminiscent of a hedgehog and this mutation was given the name Hedgehog.

That is the coolest thing ever! I don't remember learning about that but I studied marine plankton. hehehe.

Cool! I had heard of hedgehog signaling before, but had no idea what it was. Now I do! Thanks! :)

Back