We had a scare with the heater today.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
It's a good thing mom was home, because the oil-filled heater I have went on the fritz. The thing was simply plugged into the wall to maintain the temperature in the room - no switches were flipped. When mom popped in to check the hogs, she found my room 32*C. She confirmed the switches were off (I check about 5 times before I leave each morning). I have no idea what happened or why, but I think it's time for a new heater.

I've had it for about a year (maybe more) and have used it pretty consistently, so I'm going to assume something inside is worn out.

My next one will have an actual digital thermostat on it. I'm not overly concerned about power outages since we'll be in a new place where I can regulate the heat myself - I'll keep the entire apartment about 24*C and use the heater for supplementary heating.

Needless to say, I'm a bit shaken.

Has anyone used any oil filled heater on carpet? Is it 100% safe?

Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I just wondered if there was a greater risk if the thing was on carpet versus hardwood or tile, and if it would be worthwhile to purchase a large tile or something to place the heater on so it is not directly on carpet.

To be on the safe side, I'd just buy a couple of those cheap tiles to put under it - better than sorry!

Back