Update on the girls (and Cuda)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Vette is nearly done her round of antibiotics and is completely well. No more wheezing or discharge, and she's back on that wheel every second night (which is normal for her). She goes hard one night and relaxes the next. She's pooping normally (no green) and has picked up the charming habit of dumping her food bowl and spreading the kibble all around her cage. It makes for fun clean up in the morning.

Kismet finished her medicine yesterday morning and we're just waiting to see if she needs a refill. She vomited a small amount on Sunday night, but hasn't since. I think it was a combination of me dispensing the medicine too soon, and her not eating as soon after as she would have liked - I found that she NEEDS to eat right after the medicine, or else her stomach gets upset. Her poop has a bit of mucous in it from time to time, but is 99% better than it was. I called the vet yesterday to check in and they recommended I watch her for a couple days, to see if everything settles down as the medicine is worked out of her body. The poop is nicely formed and has no smell to it, as opposed to last week when she could clear out a room. There's still a tinge of green coloring to the poop, but she's still on acidophilus, so it should calm down soon.

She has decided that she enjoys being babied though, and refuses to eat kibbles on her own if she has to get out of her bed herself. She'll eat as many kibbles as I want to hand feed her, and she'll eat whole handfuls if I leave them in her bag. I'm trying to wean her off of this by simply leaving the bowl by her bag's opening and moving it away every few days, but she's very stubborn. I started adding a bit of the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient kibble to her mix (about 10 kibbles nightly), and she loves it. She's also still eating the Medi-Call Hypo/Gastro moist food and she's kind of iffy on it. If there's kibble in her bag, she'll opt for it instead. If she eats all the kibble out of her bag, she'll go to the moist food and eat. Throughout everything, she hasn't lost or gained weight - she stays between 550 and 570 grams, depending on what time of the day it is.

As another little bonus, she's more active than I've seen her in a long time. She mastered the art of running on lino, so she's been zipping around the kitchen floor like no one's business. She's not really using her wheel, but I caught her sniffing around it and simply sitting on it - she's getting braver! I can't keep her on my lap - she just wants to go! Run! Play! Hiss! Climb!

As for Cuda, he's staying FAR away from medicines, syringes and vet visits. He's as healthy as can be. Last night, he built himself a fort with his plastic tube and some blankies. I'm not sure how he managed it, but I woke up this morning and found one blanket inside the tube and another draped over top. He's an industrious little guy.

As for Cuda, he's staying FAR away from medicines, syringes and vet visits. He's as healthy as can be. Last night, he built himself a fort with his plastic tube and some blankies. I'm not sure how he managed it, but I woke up this morning and found one blanket inside the tube and another draped over top. He's an industrious little guy.

That is so funny! I would have loved to watch the construction process. What a funny little guy. :heart3:

I'm so glad to hear that the girls are improving and not being affected too much by their meds.

Back