Oppinions needed, pet store problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tskoffina

Today me and the bf were out and about, his day off, and made the mistake of stoping by a pet store near the restaurant we had lunch at. Of course they had hedgehogs. Of course there were two. And of course, one was male, one was female. Sigh. Now I don't know what to do. I don't really have space for more, I guess I could make room, but that means rearranging furniture and stuff. The female looked a bit rounder than the male, I know you can't really tell if they're pregnant, but reminded me of mine when she was pregnant. I had one litter here. and while I wouldn't say I'm an expert, or even anywhere close, I do have a pretty good idea of the responsibility and things that can happen, go wrong, with babies. I worry about feeding into the system. But I worry about leaving her there and something happening. I don't think I could forgive myself. I'm not really looking to add to my pets, but I was thinking about buying her anyway, and keeping her until after a "safe" period of time, and if there are babies adopting her and them out to good homes, hopefully. I know if I can't find homes for them I will then have a bunch more to keep, but I don't know. While I really don't have the space, I can make space and love as many of them as I have. I'm kind of rambleing, but would you try to help, or just look at it as just a drop in the bucket, and leave it be? She's a really sweet, friendly, pinto. Beautiful. (Honestly, I would probably keep her anyway) She already has a name in my mind...

This is a tough one....
I have seen pregnant hedgies in stores ( i realized because when i revisit a few weeks later the previously fat hedgehog has 'deflated' and there are very young hedgehogs for sale in another container), seriously underweight, overweight, wounded, balding, underage...often i go back and 'visit' them...and it really hurts me to know that i could so easily give them a safe home and give them a chance to get better, maybe even live a long life.

Its hard force myself to go home with empty hands. Its hard to come back and find the hedgehog is 'gone' ( i never ask if it got sold or passed on ) I just remind myself how nice it will be if one day this pet store gets tired of trying to sell live animals who keep getting sick and dying because no one wants buy the sick ones, or at least takes steps to treat them better even if just to minimize losses. I tell myself that i should try to do what is best for all of them, not just the individuals that find their way into my heart.

I cannot honestally say my opinion as to buy her or not...that is a tough one. so I'll help weigh some things out...

-buy her* save a life*possibly save a few lives if she is pregnant*be able to ensure she is given a good home etc.*ease of mind for you

bad things-*they will just replace her*you may be wasting your money and time due to health issues (common issue with petshop pets)*it may make you feel worse for only helping one (don't feel this way just thought I'd throw it out there)

-don't buy her*it will lessen the chance (even just by a little) of them getting more*you could try to edcuate them instead of buying her thus helping her and all the others in the same process*less stress and mess for you

-bad things-she may die, and if she is pregnant they will die to*may always bother you*leaves them uninformed if you do nothing

those were the main points that went throw my head...hope that helped. I think even if you don't buy her you should talk to a manager or something, tell them the issues and offer to help (for free-big difference!!!)

Okay, I know this sounds kinda dumb but are there any relativly local hedgehog breeders or animal rescues that could get involved? I'm not saying to sew the place but maybe try to convince them that they should make a better arangement for their hedgehogs or don't sell them at all. Just an idea.

I did speak to them. They said they'vee never had a problem. They didn't want to listen. I don't know of any rescues around me, but I don't think they would buy her anyway. I'm feeling like I should help the one put in front of me, hopefully she isn't pregnant and after an appropriate amount of time, she will be able to be housed with Lily, and just never go back to that store again.

I did speak to them. They said they'vee never had a problem. They didn't want to listen. I don't know of any rescues around me, but I don't think they would buy her anyway. I'm feeling like I should help the one put in front of me, hopefully she isn't pregnant and after an appropriate amount of time, she will be able to be housed with Lily, and just never go back to that store again.

Then good luck!!! Keep us updated as to if/when you get her!!!

I hate when people don't listen...just becuse you could fill out an application doesn't make you a pet expert...:yuck:

Im sooooo glad I have not pet stores around me and espically none that sell hh. do what you think is best for you, the hedge hog at the store and for the hedgies you already have and good luck with what ever you decide.

I know it is horrible to feed into the system but- I bought Truffles from a pet store. She was being kept in a cage with three other females and a male. She was the smallest out of all of them and the only one that didn't click up a storm when I held her. The people there used big leather gloves to handle the animals. They used the worst kinds of wheels and the cage was just caked with poop. But three weeks after I caved in and bought Truffles because I thought I could give her a better life, that pet store shut down. Sometimes I think that if the store was still open and selling hedgies in that condition I would feel terrible about having bought her from such a place. Now it's been a year and a half and she is the picture of good health. She's even a friendly licky-cuddly type. I'm not saying you should do what I did, but consider if you want to help perpetuate that system.

Back