A Chilly Night!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
I woke up two nights ago, about 2 in the morning, to find that my apartment was freezing cold. The heat had gone off! I rushed out to check on the hogs and found that the temperature in their cages was only 68 degrees. Although neither was showing any signs of attempted hibernation (Alexander was actually still running on his wheel!), I put them each in a hedgie bag and spent a very uncomfortable night with two hogs tucked under my shirt. I've never been bitten so many times in my life! First thing in the morning I popped over to Walmart and bought a space heater (which, by the way, was apparently the ONLY thing in the store that was not on sale!). I got their temps up to 75 and a few hours after that the heat came back on. Neither of them seem any the worse for wear, and both are eating, wheeling, and pooping as if it never happened. Thank goodness!!!

Such a good hedgie Mommy! Heeeeeeeeeeee But seriously I am so glad there were no adverse effects to the little ones (with the BIG TEETH).

You may want to consider getting yourself a wireless thermometer. Look for one that has an alarm that will go off if the temperature goes too low or too high. I've had one for many years just in case there is a heat issue while I am home (but then again I have a device that will call my cell phone if the power goes out, the fire alarm goes off, or the temp is wrong too for when I'm at work).

I love the wireless base station I have. If your hedgehogs are in another part of the house you can set the base station in your bedroom. You can quickly look at the temperature on the base station without having to disturb running hedgehogs at night and if there is a problem the alarm will wake you up.

Wow I am amazed at all the alarm systems available for the hedgie babies!

The one that calls my cell phone is actually a cabin monitor. I'm paranoid that if the power goes out in Winter. I've always had a horrible fear that the power will go out just after I leave home and that by the time I return home from work I'll have very cold hedgehogs. This gives me a bit of peace. The fire alarm part is because the machine will pick up loud continuous noises. I like it.

It is extremely scary though when I look at my cell phone and see that my house is calling me.

I had no idea such a thing even existed! I'll be investing in a thermometer w/alarm, and then when I have more money I'm going to get one of those things that calls you if something goes wrong at home. I'm so paranoid about leaving the animals alone that it's hard for me to get out of the house some days.

Thanks for posting the link! I'm going to have to get myself one of those... I'm also wishing I hadn't just bought a plain digital thermometer lol..:thumbsup:

Back