Squinty eyes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your replies, Angels eyes are back to normal :) Quill loss and quill chewing continues for Barley, but today i am noticing even more new quills poking up!. I will no longer turn her on her back to rub the medication on her under body and legs as i think her back is probably feeling sore with all the new growth coming in. Other than that all is well with the girls

In the end i soaked the liners in 50/50 water and vinegar for a few hours ( i sure hope that isn't too dilute? i am really leery of bleach and i would rather buy more vinegar ) and then washed them with the antbacterial/antifungal wash the vet gave. Since it is quite a large bottle and the girls only need a couple drops each once a week , i figured i might as well use it for liners also.

Just an update

Took the girls in today for the vet to have a look at how they were doing. Both are a lot less yeasty but still not cleared. Treatment is to be continued for another month. Other than that all is well :)

Lot of words but this could save ur hedgies life!

Hi! My name is Isabella and I just wanted to post my story. I just got done taking my hedgehog Pickles to the vet today and it was not good news.

My hedgehog was acting very immobile, wasn’t eating as much, had bad smelling poop and HIS EYES WERE SQUINTY WITH NO DISCHARGE!

The vet had told me Pickles had an ear infection and a bad case of MITES!

I was shocked... he said hedgehogs are born and live with mites their whole lives but it doesn’t become a problem until they get sick... sort of like good germs/bacteria for humans. Since Pickles got very cold with my ceiling fan on and the temperatures outside being abnormally cold ( since I’m located in Florida and it’s always hot) he caught a cold. This caused him to contract and ear infection and for his mites to produce with no problem from the hedgehogs now weak immune system.

The reason his eyes were squinty is because of the mites all over his face preventing him from seeing.

The reason for everything else ( almost immobility, lack of eating and bad smelling poop) was his ear infection/ cold.

The vet gave me oral antibiotics for his cold and a preventative medicine to put on his back for the mites.

The vet told me if I would’ve waited a week, he could of possibly passed away.
PLEASE keep ur hedgehog warm, add a heating pad and extra blankets if u really want ur fan on in ur room/ house to be cold!

Also while on the subject, vet told me a hedgehogs diet is mainly insect pellets and of course LIVE INSECTS. I never gave him live insects daily as I thought the meal worms were fattening... he said it’s a myth and that they really them. ALSO that hedgehogs can die from lack of calcium because it’s vital to digest their food and keep their bodies healthy. So I started adding calcium dust with D3 in it ( very important) on the live insects he receives daily now.

I’m hoping he will get better.
Vet visit was $167 ( wellness exam, anesithia, antibiotic, antimites)
When I go back for a check up in two weeks it will most likely if everything is better will be $100 ( wellness exam (60), anesthesia (38)) they need to use anesthesia as my hedgehog won’t be held and they need to take samples for the mites progress!.

Back