17 Year Old Had Penis Amputation Surgery - Looking For Others

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staffahoula7

I am hoping by posting this i can find those who have had first hand experience with penis amputation surgery and recovery. I tried to keep this as short as possible without doing into every little detail but am happy to provide more in the event anyone wants it.

Again, I am looking diligently to find any chinchilla breeders, owners, rescuers, etc, who have had any of their male chinchillas over the years undergo penis amputation. The reason being recently my 17 yr old hetero eb male had to have penis amputation surgery due to a prolapsed penis, which would not retract on its own after 5 days of trying.

He was originally admitted to our exotic vet after hours for a swollen prolapsed penis and subsequently stayed there for supportive care trying to get the penis' swelling to go down and retract on its own.

By day 5, parts of the penis began to look pale pink, blue tint, dry even after lubing and skin was toughened. *

All the while, he was bright, alert, eating, drinking, pooping and aside from the prolapsed penis and stepping on it, he was in very stable condition.

We only had 2 options - surgery or euthanasia.

Even though he is 17 years old and has dental and root disease, he is and has maintained good quality of life and the dental has only come into the picture in the last year (first teeth trim May 2016 and second June 2017. Xrays were done 2016 too to get a baseline).

I elected to go ahead with the surgery despite the risks involved including the fact that he is 17 years old and the exotic docs (3 total from the practice we go to covered him and his penis) had not done one before or were able to successfully connect with a dvm who had.

We reached out to a variety of exotic experts in and around the US including Dr Quesenbery over in Manhattan, NY and Dr Bennett in Louisiana. Dr Q had not done one nor her surgical team at AMC and Dr Bennett was not reachable and out of the country on a speaking engagement. We couldn't find much information on the topic or any papers authored by vets, who had done surgery.*

As of today 7/2/17, Yen is 16 days post op and his recovery has been phenomenal (not to jinx myself here...fingers always crossed).*I will spare everyone by not attaching the pictures taken throughout the surgery (in the event anyone is squeamish).

I have canvased various groups, sites and sources over the last 2 weeks and have found very little. I would love to find others out there who have had the same surgery performed to talk about their experience, if it was a success, what complications were encountered either during or after surgery, how long ago the surgery was performed, whether the chinchilla successfully recovered or not and if it is at all possible to connect my exotic vets with other vets, who have done this surgery in chinchillas.

If you or anyone you happen to have first hand knowledge and experience, please let me know.
Also if you know of any credible sources of information on the topic whether forum, papers, websites, or have heard of particular vets who have done the surgery again, please let me know.

I really appreciate your time in reading this and thank you so very much. 😃🖒

- Melissa M from CT

i can honestly say that this is the first time iv ever heard of this...
I hope your guy is doing well!
It'll be a month since his penis amputation surgery on July 16th and he continues to do very well. Eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and recently was able to move from his single level recovery cage to something a wee bit roomier. I'm hoping he can go back into his regular big cage with his wgeel, ledges and everything soon. Happy he's doing so so well. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone else in other forums or groups to date. The only 2 things I found was an abstract from a UK exotic vet who did a penis amputation surgery and an attempted penis amputation but in both cases the chin passed...after surgery and during anesthesia respectively

Back