My chinchillas behavior has done a 180

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgsmith8

I have two brothers that have always had distinct personalities. Remmy bonded with me immediately where Chewy has been slower to warm up. After a year with me Remmy has suddenly stopped liking me. He saw a vet about a week prior to the behavior change and he got a clean bill of health. He's eating and drinking and somewhat active. But his behavior is worrying me. Normally he would meet me at the door everytime I would come in the room. He would also show a lot of excitement for playtime where now he has become very skittish and mostly just sits at the top of his cage with his head held tilted and looks like he's glaring. The environment hasn't changed nor has there been any traumatic events (that I'm aware of). This has been going on for two weeks and I'm starting to really worry. If anyone has any suggestions or tips they would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming no one else lives with you and has done anything to him, my first thought is smells or sounds. Have you recently changed soaps? shampoos? perfumes? lotions? Chins are very sensitive to smells so that can cause them to act different towards you if they don't like the smell. Also I'm not sure where you live, but for most places the temps is starting to fall, causing heating vents and pipes to make noise. Or even things happening outside can cause stress, barking dogs, cats, people being loud, etc.

Assuming no one else lives with you and has done anything to him, my first thought is smells or sounds. Have you recently changed soaps? shampoos? perfumes? lotions? Chins are very sensitive to smells so that can cause them to act different towards you if they don't like the smell. Also I'm not sure where you live, but for most places the temps is starting to fall, causing heating vents and pipes to make noise. Or even things happening outside can cause stress, barking dogs, cats, people being loud, etc.

good point Amethyst. also orignal poster should read my response on your other post. (note: you probably don't need to post your question in multiple spots in the forum. when users click on the "new posts" button when logging in, they see all new posts regardless of which area they are put in, so its easy to see whats new instead of needing to search for it.)

This is my first time using a forum like this so I posted this one first and then realized an introduction would probably be best. I will definitely keep that in mind in the future :) Now thinking of it I could see it being both different sounds and smells. I live in the northeast so our forced air has been kicking on more and more with the temperatures dropping as well as I have been using more lotion on my hands. As well as Remmy in the past has a knack for holding grudges over small things so it may well be a grudge. Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it!

Back