Question about hanging hammocks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strong Chin

Hello,

I have a quality cages chinchilla mansion on the way for my two chinchillas. It will be 4 feet tall, and I am trying to find a hammock to put towards the middle of the cage to make sure there isn't a large drop from the top shelf. I have looked through several stores and found several awesome hammock options, however, it seems like most of the hanging hardware only reaches a couple inches from each corner. The cage is 24" wide, and I was hoping to hang it by the sides of the cage.

Does anyone know where I could buy some extensions so that I can hang it towards the middle of the cage (or where I can buy hammocks that come with this kind of hanging hardware)? I've seen some people hang them by the shelves- but I'm not super handy with drilling and installing my own hardware, and I guess part of me worries about the strain it would put on the shelves when/if both chins are in the hammock (maybe this is irrational, I'm very new to this). If this is the only option, I will give it a try.

Any tips or suggestions would be great! Thank you! I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

Sorry to bump this but I just got my hammock in the mail and am still thinking of ways to make it reach the sides of the cage. I want it to be a kind of "safety net" towards the center of the cage. The hanging equipment it came with are shower hooks. If I were to get more shower hooks, and link them to each other, forming a kind of "chain" of hooks, would this be safe/ok? I would have the "chain" of hooks out of the chins way as much as possible, of course (maybe extending directly under one of their shelves, so they can step directly from the shelf onto the actual fleece). I think 3 shower hooks linked together would be able to reach in each direction (the hammock is 25 X 12, and has hooks on 4 corners, and then 1 on each side of the middle)

double%20hook_zpsxr8ubjww.jpg

yea, i do it for dandy since he has movement issues.

Thanks Ann, I'll probably do this for my second hammock, thank you for the recommendation.

Godofgods, that looks great, good to see it works. I also bought some chains from flyingsaucerwheel.com, I'll see which works best. I was mostly making sure other people do it this way, so that I'm not doing anything that has been known to be any kind of risk. Thank you for the feedback!

Back