serious poop boot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

I have a 3 month old with a large poop boot around her foot. I've been soaking it and swishing her feet around in the water but it's not working. I tried everything I could think of to keep her from balling up so I could break the poop off but she's very adamant that we don't touch her feet. She will even repeatedly choke on water to spike us and make us lose hold of the foot. I debated some peroxide to see if that would break it up but I'm worried as soon as I pour it on she'll go in to a ball and get it on her face or ingest some. I don't know if hedgehogs can vomit but it could make her stomach very sick. Just 3cc of peroxide is enough to make our 22lb shiba dog vomit up things. I'm ready to take her to the vet and have her sedated because it's been more than a week and she's a growing hedgie. Anyone have any ideas how to get her foot free? She's just collecting more and more poop on that foot. It's a little over pea sized now. I'm guessing she keeps dragging the same foot through her fresh poop for some reason.

I don't know if I would try the peroxide for fear of her swallowing it. Have you tried seeing if she will walk on a wet dishcloth, one of the textured nubby ones maybe?

What about Vaseline? Would that work? It works to get the gunk off of ears. Maybe you can spread it on a towel and see if she will walk through it, if she won't let you touch her foot.

I don't think just walking on a cloth would do anything but maybe I could quickly wrap her foot in it before she becomes a ball and let it soak that way. Then I could leave it on her longer without worrying about chilling her as the water cools. I had to keep changing out the water to make it warm because I was soaking her feet so long and I worried about chills and stress of being in ever cooling water all that time. If it doesn't work we have a vet appointment for 2pm tomorrow. The smaller dog needs her rabies shot anyway.

The vet got it cleaned up and treated the slight inflammation. Heck of a time getting there. One vehicle won't start and the other had the doors iced over. Plus the cold seems to have killed the garage door opener that's on the outside. Only the one in the crv will open it.

Back