Illegality of hedgehogs in PA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel215

Lives in PA!
I discovered that Pennsylvania is a bad state for owning hedgehogs.

Upon further research, I became confused looking at House Bill 575.

Under the part of the bill defining "exotic animals," it says:

"The term shall not be construed to include any member of the class Aves (birds), any member of the families Equidae (horses, asses and zebras), Camelidae (camels, alpacas and llamas), Cervidae (deer, moose and elk), Bovidae (wild cattle and spiral-horned antelopes), Muridae (rats and mice), Chinchillidae (chinchillas and viscachas), Leporidae (rabbits and hares), Erinaceidae (hedgehogs and moonrats), Petauridae (gliders and striped possums) or any member of the species Mustela furo (domestic ferrets) or Cavia porcellus (domestic guinea pigs) or any "domestic animal" as that term is defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 5511 (relating to cruelty to animals)."

It sounds like hedgehogs are specifically exempted from the ban on exotic animals. We currently own a chinchilla, purchased legally from a commercial PA store. They appear on this same list.

Can anyone explain this to me?

I think it has to do with the fact that this is a bill and not a law.

The law says hedgies are illegal there. If found, they are seized and destroyed.

Would be nice if they could change that.

Well, if you're in PA, then you are in the exact right state to try and help the bill become a law.

That's what I'm doing! One question though. In the version of the revised bill, it mentions chinchillas in the same list as hedgehogs, and I know they aren't illegal since we have one. (He's 19) What does that mean?

I read a post on here I believe last year about this bill that would make owning hedgehogs in PA legal. That would be nice, I know my middle one was obsessed with them for a while, but with 5 chinchillas, 2 pits, and 3 monkeys (the children) I think we are packed enough. :)

I think it simply means that if this bill were to pass chinchilla would continue to be exempt from the exotic status- meaning they would be legal to own.

How does everyone feel about the Bovidae and Cervidae families being included in this exempt group? Meaning they would be just as legal to own as a hedgehog or chinchilla?

Back