New to Chinchillas, Need some help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeh07901

Hi there! I'm a soon-to-be owner of a chinchilla, and was hoping someone would be able to help me.

I wanted to know, what stuff can be gotten commercially? I work at a pet store that I know unfortunately doesn't have the best reputation. But if I can get at least some stuff through my job, that would be ideal.

So far I've already acquired a cage, a Pervue Rat/Chinchilla cage that I took the metal grate out of the bottom and slid the pan up so it sits flush on the bottom. I live in Southern California, but have already solved my heat/humidity issue (one $270 portable air conditioner/dehumidifier later).

Where do I go next? I planned on going with Oxbow Essentials Chinchilla food and Timothy Hay, and their line of Chinchilla Bath Dust. But I've been seeing some issues regarding exercise wheels with chinchillas.

I want to give my new chin the best possible life I can. So I need all the help I can get. If there's a thread that already has everything I need to know, please point me in that direction.

There are a few things you can get at a pet store, as you mentioned the hay, pellets, and dust. If you can find a wooden hiding house that doesn't have nails holding it together those can be bought at pet stores too. Some of the toys are ok as well, but are a lot more expensive then buying toy parts from online vendors and making your own. Most chins go through toys pretty quick, so the small pet store ones aren't the most economical way of going. Also most pet store toys are made with overly processed wood, so they don't taste good and you are pretty much just looking at pine, where as you can buy freshly hand processed wood from vendors. I currently have about a dozen different types of chew sticks for my chins. A basic list of safe wood is found here http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34, but keep in mind if you process it yourself that it's only safe if it's never had chemicals on it, you wash it, and bake it until dry.

As far as exercise wheels, pet stores don't sell chin safe wheels, I know they may have a chin on the package but that means nothing. Chin safe wheels include, the flying saucer standard or large size, the silver surfer if your chin is on the smaller size, large chins are too big, and the chin spin. There are also some homemade wheels, but you need the wheel to be at least 15" (for most chins) solid metal so the chin can't chew it, a solid running surface so toes can't get caught, no center spoke that can hurt the chin's back, and no cross beams that can injure or kill the chin.

If the chin you are getting it under 6 months though, hold off on giving them a wheel. Kits have a tendency of not knowing when to quit, and can over do it and end up with a dangerous drop in blood sugar. Also a wheel can cause even an adult to loose weight, if they run all the time so keep an eye on that, you want a kit to be gaining and growing.

As far as other stuff you need you can find that info here

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857

dudas sobre mi chinchilla

buenas soy e montevideo uruguay tengo una hermosa chinchi Paprika y quisiera saber si las chinchillas tienen periodo de celo ? o si a alguien le a pasado de que se torne agresiva y alocada. desde ya gracias

Back