My happy/sad chin story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigris

Hello so I decided to tell you my good/bad chin story. First of all hi my name is Tigris I am 17 and I apologise for all grammar mistakes (english is my second language) anyways here it is:

In my school we have two chinchillas, male and female. They have kits every year and school always gives them away for free to any student who would like to have them. Last year they had one kit in march, but were then surprised by another one in july. I just want to let you know that that has never happened before because they dont let them backbread so that was a total shock for them. Anyways they had two kits to give away.

I didnt know about that until november (because nobody really talked about it) and then one day I just casually mentioned it to my mom. We already have a lot of animals so I knew that my mom wouldn't let me take them and I was okay with it, I didn't expect it anyways. But the next day she said "hey I was thinking about it and why don't we take them". Ofcourse I was in it so we took them the next week. The lady who takes care for the animals in school said that they are 100% both males. Spoilers: they were not. But we trusted her because she knew a lot about chinchillas so we were sure that she knew how to sex them.

Anyways a couple months passed and now its march. One day my mom heard squeaking from the cage and she found a newborn kit in it. We were SHOCKED. The kit wasn't walking and couldn't lift up his head. He looked like he was paralyzed. We didn't know much about kits so we thought that's just how chinchillas are born. Few days had passed and we noticed that he was losing weight and still wasn't walking. We took him to the vet and he tried to take care for him for a few days and giving him nutrients through infusion but sadly it didn't work and he died a week after he was born. We were crushed. Apparently he lacked oxygen after he was born so his brain was damaged.

After he was born we left the male with female because when we took the male out, female was clearly in distress and wouldn't feed the kit. She would just jump around the cage and we were scared that the kit would either be crushed or starved to death. So we just left them together and yeah you know what happened. They backbread. So now its july and two healthy kits were born yesterday. I am still terrified that something will go wrong, that's why I post so many probably stupid questions on this forum. I can't handle another loss of a kit. But anyways everything look great for now so keep your fingers crossed for me! I will keep you updated and post a few pics in the future.

Thank you if you read this :hug2:
Tigris and the chinnies

Not that I know much about chins, being a new owner myself, but good luck with the kits. Perhaps you should consider having the male neutered, otherwise you may be in for a whole lot more.

Back