Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 AM United States

Chinchillas: 5

I unfortunately had them when new people moved into our old apartment complex. My son and I were getting eaten the most, we would wake up with these small clusters of bites on our arms neck face, and we just thought it was mosquitos. Well for some reason I looked up bed bugs and saw where to look for them. Usually in the crevices of your bed where it is sewn together. Let me tell you we began looking and it was the most horrible thing. At first we were just noticing these little brown marks on the bed, which happened to be our dry blood. Then we saw these small things in one corner that were clustered together. They looked like small lentils, until I touched them and they all began to move. The apartment complex paid for the exterminator who treated the house twice, we had to keep our chinchillas out for a few hours with us while the chemicals acted. The second treatment was the same. We ended up throwing away our bed and futon, got a new bed, and put a plastic bed bug cover on it. Luckily all that fixed the problem, but I know depending on how bad they are they can be anywhere. I have heard of them being in wood furniture, couches, beds, and even kids stuffed animals. The best method that I have heard if you just cannot get rid of them is having a professional come in and heat your house up to like 150 degrees and letting them cook. Hope this helped, and to prevent them just don't travel or stay in hotels lol, but your best bet is to cover your mattresses, you can buy the covers at like walmart.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM United States

Chinchillas: 3

The bed bugs are contained to one room, the exterminator came in and could not see any signs of it spreading.

We are using Hot shot, spraying it twice a day into the room.

The Chinchillas are closed off on the other side of the house, and I moted the casters of the cage (water discs)... I heard water will drown the bedbugs trying to climb the cage. So Far there has been nothing in the water. I am not getting bit... however I was told that isn't a good thing to count on (bite marks) when determinating if you have an infestation. Some individuals aren't allergic to the bites.

Is hot shot a good chemical for treatment? I would do the radiative treatment, but it is expensive and don't really have an "infestation". Nevermind the exterminator did not reccomend it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 AM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Does anyone know if it is okay to let the chins out after treatment?
I just had my apartment treated for bed bugs, I know the pesticides will remain active on my floors for about a month and a half, and I cannot wash my floors before then. If I do, it will ruin the effectiveness of the treatment. I discussed moving them out of the home for the duration of the treatment, but I forgot to ask if it would be harmful to the chins even afterwards!
I plan on calling tomorrow and not letting them out until I speak with them to be on the safe side, but I'd love a second opinion! It's better to be safe than sorry!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM United States
non-stop poop sweeper

Chinchillas: 10

I personally would NOT let my chins out. If you feel you have to let them out then I would purchase a playpen that has a bottom attachment/cover.

Tradition Chinchilla Pellets For Sale:
Tradition here

My boys ~ Pepper, Ebony, Ivory, Gerard, Coco, Sky, Twilight & Jet
Cassie's babies ~ Cupcake & Donut
Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

What do they say about human babies, is it safe for them to run around on the floor?

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 12-27-2016, 12:09 AM Canada

I heard that it is impossible to remove all bedbugs completely.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 AM Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
The bed bugs are contained to one room, the exterminator came in and could not see any signs of it spreading.

We are using Hot shot, spraying it twice a day into the room.

The Chinchillas are closed off on the other side of the house, and I moted the casters of the cage (water discs)... I heard water will drown the bedbugs trying to climb the cage. So Far there has been nothing in the water. I am not getting bit... however I was told that isn't a good thing to count on (bite marks) when determinating if you have an infestation. Some individuals aren't allergic to the bites.

Is hot shot a good chemical for treatment? I would do the radiative treatment, but it is expensive and don't really have an "infestation". Nevermind the exterminator did not reccomend it.
That is very strange!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 AM Canada

Hire an expert pest control company.