Red eye itchy chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyky

Hello, i have a 8 months old Chin. Got him about 5 6 months ago. A few weeks ago his eye became red then a week after that he started losing hair around his eye. He started scratching more than normal. I took him to the vet she gave me eye drops (ofloxacin ophthalmic .3%) and said otherwise he looks healthy teeth good coat is good. I did the drops for a week but no change his hair did start growing back slowly but his itchyness had gotten worse and eye is still slightly red. So i took him to a different vet who has worked w Chinns...He said continue drops and also gave me tetracaine eye drops to help open his eye. He was slightly closing it vet did say he had a small scratch on his cornea. But he never resolved his itchyness and eye is still not getting better could it be ringworm or does he just have dry skin and should i do a humidifier in his room??...he gets a dust bath once a week...sorry for the long thread Thank you!!

I don't know the meds so I can't really help there, but looking them up the first one is for bacterial infection (ringworm is fungus). I would let the vet know that the itchiness is still a problem. Just phone them up and see if maybe you need to do another round of eye drops or something. You can also ask if they think it could be ringworm. Or maybe he needs to be seen again, there could be something in his eye or the scratch isn't healed yet, so it still hurts.

Did you totally disinfect the cage? If it is a fungal issue like ringworm you need to wash the whole cage down with bleach and replace any wood (fungal spores can get into the wood). Ringworm can take weeks to fully get rid of, after everything is washed and replaced. You also want to throw out the dust after bathing since spores can end up in the dust and reinfect the chin next time it bathes. You can also try adding about a tablespoon of athlete's foot powder to the dust to help treat ringworm.
If it is ringworm make sure you wash your hands and change clothes, humans can get ringworm too.

Unless the humidity is extremely low, like under 10% or something, then you don't want a humidifier, ideally chins want humidity about 40% or below. Too much humidity can cause a fungal problem. Does he have flaky or cracked skin on his feet and ears? or is the only reason you are thinking dry skin is from the red eye? With ringworm the area will likely spread, and you will notice flaky scabby skin not just red.

Hello, thanks for the feedback...probaly aganist better judgement i stopped his eye drops all together. I felt like i was "over doing it" with them 16 hours after stopping them his eye looked better...it has been 3 days and his eye is only slightly pink vet said it chould take up too 3 weeks for it to be normal. The itchiness is getting better too he still scratches every once in a while but i really think it is the weather here im Pittsburgh. I havent given him a dust bath yet.... vet also said stop them for a week...so im gonna give him one tonight hopefully it doesnt mess w his eye or itchiness..if it does then i may need to change dust...im hopefully it is not ringworm cause thats gonna be horrible for me and Rocky hahah

Back