Open plan kitchen/lounge - not suitable for my chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love Pebbles

Hello fellow Chin lovers.

I am new to this site but have always looked here for advice, for the three years that we’ve had Pebbles ❤️ So thank you for all the advice so far!

We are moving to a new apartment soon which has an open plan kitchen/lounge area. Its a big room so she would be a fair few metres away (maybe 6?) from the kitchen, but I’m assuming that this still isn’t ok (due to cooking fumes, heat and humidity from boiling water)??

She is in our lounge at the moment as she loves being with us and the TV, but our kitchen is currently separate from the lounge. I want to make sure that she has that time with us as she does now, as she is our only Chin.

If we were to keep her in a separate room during the day, and bring her cage in to the lounge at night when the cooking fumes etc have ventilated out, would this be ok do you think?

Thank you in advance x

I'm not sure how far away the chin would need to be from cooking fumes, but if as you say the cage would be about 6 meters away from the kitchen area I don't think it will be too much of an issue unless you are cooking all day everyday. The heat and humidity could be a problem though, you want the temp to be around 20 C or below and the humidity below 50% and unless you have AC in the kitchen that could prove difficult.

Being in a different room during the day and out in the kitchen/lounge area in the evening could work. Just make sure the temp and humidity levels are within safe range when you bring her cage out.

In the UK we don’t usually have built in ACs but I will look in to a portable one, and also something to tell me the humidity of the room. We do have a thermometer on her cage, 1 out of 3 is better than none right? Lol. Thank you for your help! You’ve helped out my mind at ease :) x

I have a small 1br. My chin is about 3 meters from my stove and my sink is a little closer. She's been a happy camper for 3years. I got her when she was 4. So she is aprox 7 and spunky/happy. No health issues.

Oh good! Thank you so much for letting me know, I really wanted to keep her in the lounge so I’m over the moon to hear that it’s ok :dance3: x

Back