Safe or Not Safe Essential Oils?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyrolo

Hello,

A friend of mine is into the Young Living Essential Oils. I've got a diffuser but I"m SUPER nervous about using it any where near my chinnies, so I only use it in one room that is closed off to them.

I'm wondering if anyone here has a list of essential oils that are big no nos, to having around chinchillas? Or a list of ones that might be okay? The only one I can seem to find for sure that isn't safe is tea tree. Otherwise everything is very vague and no 2 sources that I find seem to agree.

I would like to use my diffuser more but my babies being happy and healthy are more important to me. Also I only use the diffuser, I would never put the oils directly near my chinnies.

I use the real lavender oils in my chin room. In the clay diffuser the ones where you put a candle under the oil. I have used this around my Conure and birds are way more sensitive. I am sure there is over protective pet parent that will say it is bad (Everything will kill you these days anyways).

For me I use it to calm my horny chins down. I have 2 males in a cage next to 5 females. I think one of my girls is in heat so my younger boy has been acting up. I like to use the lavender oil to help calm them and mask the smell that the female is giving off. It helps a little.

As long as you are getting the real oil not the cheap chemical oils you buy at walmart. I see no problems. I have had no problems. BUT I know there are people out there that will say it not good. There are other house hold cleaner and sprays or even carpet it's self that is way worst. Laundry detergent has more chemicals than oils.

Anyways don't worry I use it and all 8 of my chins are fine. SO is my conure.

Last edited:
Side note I would not use peppermint around my chins. Mainly because peppermint is said to be a smell mice do not like SO I figure maybe chins don't like it.

As Snowflake311 mentioned, make sure you only use good quality pure oils, Young Living Essential Oils is suppose to be a good brand. If the oils are safe around birds they are likely safe around the chins, so it might be easier to look up safe ones for birds. Chins actually have just as sensitive respiratory systems as birds. I'm pretty sure I've read not to use straight oils around chins or birds though, you should use a water diffuser (one were you put a little oil in and then the rest water). I think it also depends on how big of a room you are using them in, a small room is going to end up with a higher concentration of it in the air then a large room. It also depends on how long you use it for and how far away from the chins you use it.

Also keep in mind that what smells good to you may not smell good to the chins, some can be very sensitive to certain smells. Looking at the Young Living Essential Oils website it looks like they have oils for pets, so that could be a good place to start looking.

Thank you both, sounds like I"m being a little over protective :) I'll look up stuff for birds an kind of use that as a starting guide. And anything that I diffuse around them I'll just watch how they act carefully. I might start with the lavender because one of my chinnies came from a pet store and she has always been on edge. My other 2 are so much calmer and they are from breeders.

Back