My girls won't let me pick them up

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estychan

Hi! So, I got two female chinchillas about two months ago now, and while they can run up and down my arms inside the cage without a problem, they won't let me pick them up. My room is impossible to chin-proof, but transporting them from my room to the playpen in the other room is really difficult. I have to use their dust bath, but one of them has started not trusting the dust bath so I had to stop that method. They won't jump into the carrier on their own.

It's also worth noting these girls were already 2 years old when I got them and weren't the best socialized chinchillas in the world. I need to be able to pick them up sometimes for practical reasons and I'm starting to get discouraged. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help? :(

Two months isn't a lot of time for a chin who has never been socialized with humans to learn that you are okay to be around. It can take a lot longer than that. They aren't going to break if you have to catch them to take them to their play area. Either have their carrier ready nearby so you can put them right in, or take them one at a time by holding them firmly above the tail (wrapping your hand around the tail) right AT their butt. Do not ever attempt to hold a chin by the end of the tail - it will rip off. But if you put your hand under their tummies, hold them close to your body, and hold onto their tail (again, with right up against/at the butt), that would be a safe way for you to transport them, even if they aren't thrilled about it and struggle. The tail hold ensures that if they should startle or jump, they won't fall in an awkward way that they might hurt themselves.

Chinchillas are not cuddle animals. They are like a toddler that just wants to run and play. I think most chins do not like to be held. They learn to deal with it in time. All my rescues were part of a breeding herd. They have great personality they do not like to be picked up. The ones I have had for a few months have gotten better about it. We are still working on it. I have 7 chins now. Lucky for me they all love their cage and hope back in when they are done playing. So I don't need to hold them. I much rather let them jump on me.

Give it time they will learn to trust you more with time. Just remember they might never like to be held but will learn to deal with it.

Back