Silly question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

First, sorry for all the dumb questions. I know the basics of mutations but these questions came up in conversation and I just wanted to clarify.

Mosaic patterns are not hereditary right?
I always thought that they were completely random. If you're after a heavily marked mosaic, is it just chance?

A white ebony can look exactly like a mosaic as well, correct?
It's just the pedigree that tells you otherwise unless they have obvious black markings?

Well a mosaic is just a combo of a type of white and another dominant color (a white to white combo can be lethal. so no live baby), there is a genetic calculator here to give you an idea of the chance for a mosaic with any given breeding pair.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure white ebony is technically a mosaic, but yes it could look the same and is really just whether the parents have ebony in them or not. Also whites, pink white, mosaics, white ebony, silver mosaic would all be considered types of whites.

Thanks for the response. :]

Oh I already know all of that, I was only speaking about the specific patterns that mosaics end up having. XD

For example... If one chin has a spot on their face, is there a higher chance for their babies to have the same or is it random?

I guess I misunderstood your question. I would think that the actual patterning is random, otherwise someone would have probably started breeding "designer mosaics" by now, lol.

Someone with more experience could hopefully give a better answer though.

i have a line of whites that continuously throw chins with the same pattern. but it would depend on the genetics of the animals used.

yes, a white ebony can look just like a standard mosaic. i have several ebony whites that are mostly white with dark around the tail an ears.

Yes, some patterns are genetic and can reoccur with the offspring. An ebony mosaic can just appear like a standard mosaic but may have dark markings on the belly or may not, but will throw ebony kits. The black velvet mosaics have the lush fur and can have very dark "spots" on their fur. Mosaics are really fun, I really love the white violets, showing both the white and the violet.

I've been working with some "extreme" lines of mosaics that are genetic. They don't throw identical patterning, but these lines have been throwing heavily marked offspring, or ones with "extreme" markings (as some call them).

whites are odd. finding out and seeing pictures of the parents and grandparents and further back of one of my white females, has shed some huge light on Wilson whites. (no other mute, so not strictly mosaic.) my line is known to have "spot" of black, or dark grey show on their body, usually in one of two places. head, and back. I think its down, to how incomplete the white gene is. my female (pinkwhite) birthed three babies recently, standard, beige and white. (standard father). The white baby, (now 8 weeks) has the black spot!
some lines are more prone to extreme mosaicking, i'm no expert, but its extremely interesting!

Attachments

• DSC01100.jpg
    DSC01100.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
Another thing that is extremely interesting with chins is that you can have a white/mosaic born looking just like a standard gray or lite ebony. As it gets older all of a sudden the white appears and it keeps getting whiter and whiter.

Back