My Chinchillas Still Sprays Pee After Two Years HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robineatsdinos

I’ve had my rescue chinchillas for two years, both are females and approximately 3 to 4 years old. My one girl Chynna has always sprayed Urine, however I expected after two years that she would stop spraying me. I am so extremely frustrated because I play with them every single day, I handle them so gently and never force my attention on them, and I do not do anything to provoke her except for pushing her off of my feet when she chews on my toenails during playtime. I don’t even take them out of their cage, I carry it to the playroom and open the door so they don’t feel cornered in the cage by my hands. I know she was mistreated before I rescued her and that’s why she sprays, I know it’s a defensive maneuver but she has absolutely zero reason to be defensive towards me. I swear she’s just nasty and I don’t know why. She’s completely healthy, and probably just needs an attitude adjustment. I’m just curious if anyone else has this problem because I don’t know what to do anymore I love her to death, But I’m sick and tired of getting peed on for no reason. Please give me any advice you can💕

From my experience, female chins are just moody, if they don't want to do something or are in a bad mood they will spray, female chins are even known to spray pee at each other.

It might help to know what you are doing when she spays you, is there anything in particular you are doing? Or is it completely random, everything is going fine then she jus randomly spays? Chins can react to more then just actions, are there any noises or smells that might be setting her off? Also what kind of mistreatment did she endure before you got her? If it was rough handling that can take several years to get over, some never really totally do depending on what happened to them. It can take twice as long as they were mistreated to get over it. So if they were mistreated for 2 years before you got them, expect it to be 4 years before she starts coming around. They are quick to anger and distrust, but very very slow to forgive and learn to trust again.

Thank you for your reply, she tends to spray when I make movements towards her, she doesn’t do it every time however. She was quite mistreated before I got her, she’s missing a toe because of it. So it definitely makes sense that it could take almost 4 years to rehabilitate her. You gave me hope that one day she’ll be a semi decent lady and not quite so feisty!

She sounds just like one of my females - she was abused and is also missing a toe and shoots pee! Fortunately she has never shot it at me, only my other Chin.
Thank you for your reply, she tends to spray when I make movements towards her, she doesn’t do it every time however. She was quite mistreated before I got her, she’s missing a toe because of it. So it definitely makes sense that it could take almost 4 years to rehabilitate her. You gave me hope that one day she’ll be a semi decent lady and not quite so feisty!

I took in 4 foster chinchillas and they are spraying all over their cage & my walls! I've never seen anything like it in my experience having chinchillas and it's driving me crazy .....at least they don't spray me but this is wild and makes my house stink no matter how much I clean I don't know what to do

Back