how to encourage chewing

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

This is probably a stupid question and not one often asked for chins but how can I encourage my new baby to chew? He is just a hair over 3 months and he just has no interest in chewing. We offer lava dots, applewood, and plain colored flavored wood. He just has no interest. he drags the wood into his house and I assume he chews it but I just cleaned it out and there was all his chew sticks untouched.

I am worried. Will he start chewing as he ages or what can I do? He is my first baby as well.

I should add we've had him 3 weeks and he turned 3 months on the 27th. He is eating his pellets good and eats about 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons a day and he seems to be drinking. He's active and playful and has been getting out for playtime in the bathroom for a week now (I didn't get him out today so he's a little peeved).

Will he learn to chew as he gets older? I'm just nervous I know our other isn't a good chewer either (except if it's something she shouldn't be).

Last edited:
Keep trying different things and hopefully you will find something he really likes to chew. If he seems to just like his food then try giving him different types of hay.. and hay cubes. The different cuts of hay really help grind down the back teeth and the cubes work the front teeth. I wouldn't be very concerned at this time but just keep trying.

Some chins just aren't as avid chewers as others. Another thing you can do is close the wood in with some spearmint leaves and it will get that 'taste', and might encourage him. There's also different types of woods that may be more appealing to him. Maybe order some of Kelly's dipped sticks ;)

Thank you!

Also could he maybe not like a brand? I did get these ones from a petstore so maybe they aren't as good?

I would definitely recommend different types of wood chews, other than pet store brands. My chin Specter isn't much of a chewer, and we bought a variety of twigs (apple, mulberry, cottonwood (?)) etc from someone who makes their own chew sticks and she definitely has flavor preferences. Some of the suppliers on here offer variety/sampler packs, you might try one of those and see if your chin takes a liking to a certain type of wood :).

I used to get pet sore wood. Now I cook my own. BUT once I did run out of wood and had to get the pet store one....Boy, they didn't even touch it! Took it, smelled it, tossed it away! Picky eaters hun!

I bought some apple twigs from someone and my chins chewed them fine. Then I made my own and NOW they prefer the fresh ones I make. The do chew lava items too and can gnaw through the bites in no time.

I agree - try lots of different kinds of wood and toys. I have had a few chins in the past who just weren't avid chewers... until you found the "right" substance... for most of them it was manzanita, but I had one chin who would only chew apple twigs and coins. I wouldn't stress too much though, it's very likely that eventually your chin will chew on something. :)

I would try several different things..From regular untreated pine chunks, to apple wood. Almost everyone in my herd loves apple twigs, even the babies... I actually sometimes give chopsticks as well--and they love them. You just need to watch for splinters - I haven't had a problem yet and have been giving them for years.

Thanks, yes I did order chews a few days ago in different woods so maybe he'll find one of those more enjoyable. Although I did order a TON of apple wood because my girl enjoys it so much. Hopefully something a little fresher will tempt him.

Yeah, there really is a difference between the store brand ones and the fresh ones members make/sell. Maybe he'll try a pumice stone or hay block too? You're just going to have to try various things and find what tickles his fancy.

My chins love the apple twigs. Not the huge branch ones but the real tiny ones. There are quite a few people on here that sell them if interested. Also if things don't improve by around 6 mths or so, you might want to take a trip to the vet for a closer look. J.M.O tho

Back