Ferret Nation liner questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

Apparently I need detailed instructions on how to make cage liners. I have made 5 sets of liner for my FN182 with Bass pans. Not one of the 10 liners is the right size, or even the same size as any other.

In addition to the size issue, how do you do the inside corner of the cutout for the top level without having one side bunch up?

Do you make it with two or three layers? I've been doing it with three, but I'm thinking that may be the problem.

Also, I've been cutting the fleece on carpet, which I'm thinking now might not be the best idea. I may try my next one on the kitchen floor where it can't be stretched as I lay it down.

So, just how do you go about making a successful set of liners? Do you have a pattern? What size do you cut the fleece, and how much seam allowance do you have?

One more question - I bought some fleece this morning. I had only bought anti-pill so far, but one of the ones I got this morning was labeled on the bolt as blizzard fleece. I know that is supposed to be good. But when it was cut, there were fuzzies all over the place; all over the table, all over the floor, all over the woman cutting it. She said that when it's sewn it doesn't do that. But.....????

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Trish

When I measure for liners I add about 2 inches for the seam. I also bought a washable ink fabric pen (like this for example) to mark out were to cut, and use a tape measure to measure and a yard stick to draw the straight line. I use my kitchen table to do the measuring and cutting on. I also pin the fabric so it doesn't stretch as I sew it together.

This is a step by step instructions of making liners. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907 It shows a cutout liner being made so hopefully that answers your question there.

Yes blizzard fleece is fine, it's just the rough/raw edges that come off in fuzziness when cut, which will be inside the liner so no worry there. That is the reason fleece is considered safe, even the raw edges of it don't come off in strings, which could get tangled in the gut or around a body part. They come off in small fuzzy bits which, will in most cases, easily pass though a chin without issue if a little bit is swallowed before you notice and take it away.

Well I'm glad I decided to check in. I never got notification that anyone had responded and was disappointed. But thank you Amethyst for responding.

I will try again with these instructions. I think a big part of my problem for the cockeyed ones and the smaller ones is that I've been laying them out and cutting them out on the carpet.

Good to know that about the blizzard fleece but it sure is messy.

I will do that before I make any new ones. Wash in hot water for maximum shrinkage?

I never use hot only warm or cold and I use vinegar for the rinse cycle. Never use regular fabric softener on fleece, it destroys the absorption power of the fleece,

Yes, I did know about the vinegar. I just never measure when I put it in the machine because I'm not sure how much should go in. But they always come out clean. How much SHOULD I use? I'm guessing about a cup?

Oh, and I know about never using fabric softener too.

Back