Could use your opinion on X-Rays

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swallace

Ideally I'd be able to get a 2nd Doctor's opinion but time isn't on my side, dental appointments are hard to come by, and his dental appointment is this Friday.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to X-Rays, so I ask for your help since I know there is a wealth of knowledge and, unfortunately, a bit of experience with dental issues here.

The vet thinks a dental is the best course of action. That's great news but the reasoning behind it didn't sit well with me. Buddy, my chinchilla is about 15 years old, I've had him for 9 years. The vet said, because of his age it's more likely he's just in need of a dental and less likely it's a death sentence (severe malo).

Obviously I want him to live a long(er) and healthy life but I opposed to him living in pain for the rest of his life.

So I ask for any expertise you may have. Thank you.

Attachments

• buddy-l.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 82
  • buddy-r.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 79
Here's a couple different formats, hopefully one works.
Buddy - Left
Buddy - Right

Different host:
Buddy - Left
Buddy - Right

Image Embed:
y9rvoPHCNVDQn4DU8

ME9w1MwQVJDAPZAXA

This is the discharge note from the vet:
"As noted on his physical exam, he has mild cataracts which I don't believe are impairing his vision at this time. He was also found to have significant dental disease. We took x rays which revealed that his molars are not occluding normal and there are some bony changes to his jaw. This is likely due to infection at the tooth root. I am sending Buddy home on a pain/anti-inflammatory medication, an antibiotic, and a probiotic (to ensure normal gut flora while on the antibiotics). I recommend making an appointment for a dental. It is likely that the doctor doing the dental will recommend x rays of Buddy's whole body prior to putting him under anesthesia.

Medication to go home:
1. Meloxicam 1.5mg/ml: Give 0.10cc by mouth twice a day (every 12 hours) until dental.
2. TMS 48mg/ml: Give 0.30cc by mouth twice a day (every 12 hours) for 14 days.
3. Benebac: Give one turn by mouth once a day (every 24 hours) for 14 days."

I do agree he needs a filing to even out the occlusal plane, the roots IMO don't look that bad, moderate elongation. The vet appears to be right on point with what is recommended, I would have it done and see how he does.

I will use this thread to ask for opinion. This chin 3y.o. came to me for a checkup last week after adoption from a fur farm, owners said it sometimes has runny right eye, eating normally, lost only 10g in 6 months. This is the x ray if picture works. Does anyone know how to grade malo? I've only found use od reference lines.

https://imgur.com/a/yR2kH

Can someone post their opinion on this x ray, tried to post earlier but my post is missing so i'll try again.

This is a female chinchilla, 3y.o. adopted from a fur farm, cameto regular checkup after being settled in new home, eating normally chinchilla pellets and hay, owner reported ocular disharge sometimes from the right eye.

X-ray shows malocclusion, and some root elongation.

The elongation in the maxilla is fairly advanced in my opinion, more than likely encroaching on the lacrimal duct drain causing the weeping. The mandibular looks moderate, the malocclusion mild and could use some trimming.

The elongation in the maxilla is fairly advanced in my opinion, more than likely encroaching on the lacrimal duct drain causing the weeping. The mandibular looks moderate, the malocclusion mild and could use some trimming.

Thank you for the comment, I recomended to the owner trimming, but they chose to observe, some people are hard to believe animal has a condition because it's still eating normally and everything else is fine :hmm:

Elongation is usually silent until its well advanced, I had one who was 1200gms, 45 days it took for him to go from that to dead, the lower roots actually broke his jaw.

Back