Help! Info Needed for 2 Month Olds

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellylynnmarie

lovin' my chinny boys!
Hi All!

I'm fostering 2 Male 2-Month Old kits and they were just dropped off today. They didn't come from a good situation, so I don't know much about their life before now, but I know their mother died a few weeks ago. They have been eating Timothy Hay and drinking water from a water bottle. I've had several chins but all of mine have been adults, so I've never had babies before.

Any help on what I should and should not do as far as housing, food, etc. would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Also... these may be silly questions... but

1) can they have dust baths regularly?

2) should their poops be similar (but smaller of course) than adults?

Please HELP ASAP! I already have them and feel a bit lost.

Thanks!

Some info

Hi Kelly! Glad you're taking care of these two boys, and as long as you're doing the right things, there's no need to be that worried. Make sure you are handling them regularly so that they can get used to being held, but be extra careful, since they are young. You could also start giving them plain (no "chinchilla fun mix"), high quality chinchilla pellets; start with 1/2-3/4 tbsp. each, and slowly start increasing the amount until you determine how much they like to eat a day. Oxbow chinchilla food is a favorite among my chinchillas. With these, along with plenty of hay and fresh water, their waste should look about the same as an adults. You can also give them regular dust baths, but it might be safer to keep them to maybe two a week so you don't risk over-drying their skin. Make sure you regularly check their weight with a scale to check for weight loss, and always check for minor abrasions or injuries on them to make sure they are getting along. Large cages can sometimes be dangerous, so stay away from tall cages with lots of levels to avoid injury. Finally, make sure you give them lots of attention! Without a mom, they'll need support while they continue to grow.

If anyone has corrections or suggestions, please reply! I assure you, I am no chinchilla expert!

Also Kelly, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!

Back