Does my chin hate me now?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nscrio

so about 2 weeks about My girlfriend and I adopted a chinchilla named Luna,she is about a year old and since we got her shes never made a noise. earlier today I went to pick her up out of her play pen, she went for a sprint and my hand ended up slipping and I accidentally ended up tugging on her fur a bit, she freaked out and I think may have tried to take a bite out of me, she then made a noise that I think sounded like discomfort. she did end up letting me hold her and shes never tried to really squirm out of our arms since we got her and she still didn t now. Just before though I went to pet her and she started making the noise again, my girlfriend can hold her and pick her up fine but she makes the noises for me, she still has been running around, eating, drinking, pooping and playing with her toys but that noise concerns me, do Chinchillas hold grudges? does she hate/fear me now because of the slight incident? also should I be wary of trying to pick her up if she is making noises? will she try to bite me? should I try and just let my girlfriend handle that and ease Luna into me?

Chins can most definitely hold grudges, you'll need to re earn her trust. Depending on how upset about it she is it can take anywhere from a few days to months. Unfortunately for most chins it can take a long time to gain their trust and just one mess up to loose it and have to start over. If the chin is mad or scared enough she will bite (and females can spray pee too). Since you haven't had her for long you haven't had time to get a good bond established and for her to get to know you that well, so she just has 2 weeks to base her opinion of you on. Your best bet now is for you to start over from the beginning and treat her like she is brand new to you. If she is still fine with your gf she doesn't need to start over too, just you. You need to prove to her that you can be trusted not to hurt her, in time she will forget the accident.

Back