Care for Old Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovay

Hi all,
I've got a chinchilla who will be turning 17 this year. I'm starting to notice that he's not quite the spring chicken he once was. He's still healthy and active though! He's eating, drinking, pooping perfectly fine. his coat has seen better days but I suppose that's just his age.

A few months ago he had a fall, either caused by, or resulted in, a seizure. Fortunately the seizure itself was brief. The vet took a look at him and he was in good health, and he hasn't had an issue since. We think either the fall caused the seizure, or the hay he had was bad. He started having trouble jumping to his top ledges so I redid his cage to avoid any injuries from falling. The only other issue he has is a slight heart murmur which he's had since ~2009.

I'm wondering if those of you with geriatric chins have any advice for better care? His weight is ok, though he could stand to be a little plumper. He's on oxbow pellets and timothy hay, with some alfalfa cubes. He gets a raisin every few days. I know some of you are anti-raisin, but after 17 years I'm not going to change that routine.

I thought about giving him critical care occasionally to keep his weight up but I don't want him to start refusing pellets for mush. I saw fuzzychins had a heart supplement. any thoughts?

I was going to recommend a supplement, then got to the bottom and saw your comment about fuzzyskindom. I highly recommend Tanya's supplements and chins wave 2 paws up for them. You could email her and see what she recommends.

My other suggestion would have been the cage - but you already beat me to that too!

Thank you so much for your replies tunes and ticklechin! I will contact Tanya and see what she suggests.

Back