Cleaning wood shelves

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let it sit in the sun for a day or two, that usually takes away the smell. Then I take sand paper and scrub it all down. It's as good as new =)

I use a spray bottle with warm water and vinegar, paper towels, and sand paper. I spray and wipe first, then sand the pee spots I see, then wipe down all the shelves again to get rid of the dust the sand paper made. Be sure to let the shelves dry before you put your chins back in.

Do you need to use wet paper towels to get rid of the vinegar?

No, you can just dilute the vinegar to start with. Once the shelf dries out, the smell is usually gone too.

I did while I was wiping away what the sand paper left behind.. but I don't think you need to as long as you let it dry and air out for a little.

If someone know the answer, I am also curious if it is necessary to kind of "rinse" the vinegar away with a paper towel and water.

Hmm, if the chin chews the wood, I'm not sure if the vinegar would be a good idea for wood shelves. Wouldn't the vinegar soak into the wood? I use vinegar for my metal pans though. I'm sure the vinegar would work for plastic too. But I'm not sure for wood. Would it still be chin safe?

I use hydrogen peroxide. It is the best cleaning agent I have found for the pee stains. Hydrogen peroxide will bubble out any bodily fluid, and it completely gets rid of the pee.

What I do is put the H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) in a DARK spray bottle (can't be light, because if light leaks through it breaks the H2O2 down into water), spray a bit on the areas that have been peed on, and let it sit for about five minutes. Then I take a scrubbing brush and scrub the area, let it sit a few seconds, and wipe it down with a damp wash cloth. I usually let the ledges sit out in the sun if I did a hardcore cleaning. This helps break down any excess H2O2 that was left behind.

I have used vinegar/water as well, but H2O2 works wayyy better IMO.

Vinegar is fine if the chins chew on it, it is a human food product. I clean everything with it, including their water bottles. I will also use hydrogen peroxide on shelves or pans if they are bad.

Do you think H202 would be better or just making a liner for the shelves?

Vinegar is good for cleaning the pee stains, and I have read in here or when it was CNH that it is safe for chinchillas. I have used it myself when my shelves have gotten alot of pee stains on them and have had no problem with my chins from chewing the wood. I think I still diluted it a bit, and still went over it with water, but if any is left behind, like I said, I'm pretty sure I heard it was safe for chins. If I am wrong, hopefully, someone will correct me.

Jean

Both vinegar and peroxide are safe to use. Peroxide does an excellent job of removing the stains and has no smell. It breaks down into water so it is perfectly safe. I use it all the time. I just wipe down the shelf with a rag soaked in peroxide, and let it dry. That's all there is to it.

I prefer to use hydrogen peroxide. Vinegar is safe to use too, just make sure to rinse it really well, otherwise it may cause feet irritation in some chins.

Back