Reusing old cage for new chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klknelson

Our chinchilla died several months ago (we had her for over 19 years, so it wasn't a surprise). I think we're ready now to get another chinchilla and I plan to use the old cage. I was planning to clean it really well, but not sure I can really clean the wooden ledges. Are chinchillas sensitive to other chins smells such that the old wooden ledges would be a problem? I was originally going to purchase new ones but my husband doesn't think it's necessary and doesn't want me to spend the money on it. Thoughts?

Unless your chin died of or had something contagious I don't see any problem with reusing the cage and cage items. Just wash the wood ledges down with a 50/50 vinegar/water mix, use a scrub brush if needed, then let dry completely. I would also sand down any stained areas and smooth any chewed edges so the new chin can make their own chew patterns.

I have reused a cage and wood items. Cleaning them and sanding them seems to work fine. The new chins don’t mind.

Back