Potential URI?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchilling3

Last week I noticed one of my chinchillas had a watery eye, so I took him to the vet. She said everything was fine, she even let us look at his teeth by using a device with a camera, and they were good indicating no teeth problem.
She said to withhold the dust bath for a few days and to try a different type of dust.

That was three days ago, however his eye has not gotten better at all, if not worse. I also noticed he has been sneezing, like once every 5-10 minutes I want to say. There isn’t any discharge coming out of his nose but he seems to wipe it a lot. His breathing is also a little wheezy. I am wondering if this is a possible URI? I am planning on making another vet appointment soon, but I am at my wits end...

So they only did a look inside the mouth they didn't do x-rays? Without x-rays you can't be sure it's not a tooth problem because you can't see the roots. With chinchillas the roots and crown (the part of the tooth you can see) of the tooth grow. If the roots have grown into the skull that could cause the problems you are seeing.

If you do suspect URI though I would get him back to the vet as soon as you can. Chins can die within hours from URI, maybe try a different vet if you need to? Runny eyes is one thing, the vet probably though it was just eye irritation, but if he is now also sneezing and wheezy that is a very bad sign.

Back