No tail?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflake311

So I am working on placing the last of a breeding herd. I have 30 Chins left to find homes for. Well out of the 10 I am fostering now one female is missing a tail. She has no tail not even a nub and she is missing an ear and half of the other ear. She is so nice and gets along with almost any chin you put in with her.

I can understand how a chins could lose it's ears but a tail? That is so much most a part of the body. It is part of the back with bones. Can they be born that way? Or was it chewed off when she was a baby?

GhL7hT7ivVm5wXJ32

From another person.

Babies often lose a tail if its a difficult birth, particularly breach birth so the mother has to pull them out by the tail and they snap off. The ears may be due to over grooming by the mother or injury from another.

It's also possible that it was pulled off by someone holding the chin incorrectly. My daughter was trying to catch a chin that was loose just as she ran under the bed and grabbed her by the tail Unfortunately it was the end of the tail rather than the base and she ended up losing half of her tail just from that one mishap. My daughter was way more upset about it than Lianne was.

This female was missing all of the tail. Now my next batch of rescue chins and one is missing it's back foot. The whole foot. I do not know what to do. I might have to put him down. He is very thin and has a hard time getting around.

Here is the tailless Chins she was a great one really social and fun.
20170911_215919 (1) by Sarah Ireland, on Flickr

Back