Dark Chinchilla urine

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PikachuMoomoo

I have a five month old Chinchilla and she has been having very dark urine lately. I'm not sure what could be causing it because she is eating, and drinking. I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• pee.jpg
    pee.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 167
Maybe it's just the excretion of plant pigments. For example, orange/red urine is produced when porphyrins (pigments that are abundant in nature) are excreted in the urine. Yellow urine darkens to a red-brown after exposure to light. Consumption of certain plants, bark can exhibit more red pigment in the urine.

Normal urine may appear darker if chinchilla is dehydrated. The intensity of the color depends on the level of dehydration.

Excessive amount of iron or B vitamins passed in the urine can cause an orange, reddish - brown discoloration of the urine.

Some antibiotics may increase the levels of pigments in the urine.

Liver and blood diseases can result in increased levels of bilirubin and urobilinogen that change urine color.

Often blood in the urine is not visible to the naked eye and if you do not see any other symptoms, including loss of appetite, straining, frequent urination, weakness, your chin is probably fine. Urine should return to it's normal color soon, if it does not, urine can be evaluated.

Looks pretty normal to me - chin urine can vary in colour.
I would first check the water bottle is working if you are concerned. :)

BTW have you give the chin any wood to chew lately? Some wood bark can turn the urine a darker colour than normal. Apple wood is one culprit.

Hello, has anyone seen this color of urine??

Attachments

• 20170413_235352.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 62
Back