Ideal dust bath length of time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnow

I read in a few places that chinchillas need dust baths 2-3 times a week for 15-20 minute sessions. Is this accurate? I give my little guy dust baths but he takes about a minute and he's done, I don't want to force him to take any longer but this has caused me to let him take a bath anytime he wants (since the baths are so short) should I just allow him to do it whenever he wants or still just every other day? He doesn't manage to get even close to 15 minutes in one day which makes me curious.

Bath frequency really has more to do with where you live humidity wise, 2-3 is just average. If you are in a very dry area then 1-2 baths a week is plenty, but if you live in a very humid area you may need to give as many as one a day. Also 15-20 minutes is really the max amount of time to give, if you leave it longer they will likely pee and poop in it. Most chins only need about 5 minutes, but some chins will bath then sit in the dust bath so you do need to limit it. If your chin is done in a minute or two and doesn't go back for more then take away when he is finished. I know my guys, if I have it out during playtime will sometimes go in roll once or twice, then run around a little, then go back in again a few times. After about 20 minutes, or if I see one of them just sitting in there, I take the dust bath away.

Back