Starting to use Fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinsNpigs4

Hey guys and gals! I have a ferret nation cage and I've always used Carefresh bedding. Well, now that we got pups try and guess what is their favorite treat? They push bedding out of their cage and the dogs love to run over and scarf it down:crazy: I have bought a set of fleece "pillow sheet" type to put the plastic pans in. My question being I only have one set of the fleece, how do y'all keep it clean? I know to brush out the poop but what about pee? Could I buy a litter box for rabbits or ferrets? Thanks for any advice!

I would recommend getting at least 1 more set of liners if not a few more. That way when it's time to clean the cage you can have a fresh set in the cage and the other in the wash. Liners are actually very easy to make if you have access to a sewing machine. There are plenty of instructions on this site or even youtube. I was very hesistant to try and make my own as I am not too crafty but it wasn't that bad and saved me a ton of money. I get my fleece from Wal-mart, it's cheap and they have cute patterns!

As for litter training, you can train them to pee in the litter box. Again, do a search on this forum for instructions. I never "trained" my chins, instead I just placed the pan in the corner of the cage where they pee most. It helps cut down on the fleece odor. For a litter pan, I recommend using a glass baking dish like pyrex. It's easy to clean and chins can't chew it!

I change the fleece in my cages twice a week. I dump the majority of hay and poop into the trash can and then take the fleece outside to the yard to get the rest off. I wash them on hot and use 1 cup white vinegar. Avoid using detergents and softeners they can make your fleece actually repel the urine rather then absorb. I dry my liners on a drying rack in the chin room and that's it! I wasn't sure if I would like using fleece but I actually love it! Its really easy! And as you mentioned, you can spot clean in the cage using a dust pan and brush.

Back