Clenched paws and running in circles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimH

My almost 6 month old chinchilla started acting a little weird last night.. it lasted for maybe 5 minutes but felt like forever. He seemed to have a cramp in one of his front paws.. he held it in close to him and was standing a bit but hunched over.. he then laid on the floor.. his front paws still looked to not be okay..he was shaking a little bit and then he started running in circles and then would lie down. He let us pick him up without a fight and stayed very still while I held him.. then he jumped out of my arms pretty quickly but didn't seem to be running right.. he hid in one of his hiding spots for a few minutes with us watching and then seemed to be okay. He's been moving and eating fine since.. any ideas of what might have happened

How has he been since? Any more of these issues?

I really dont have any good ideas, not my area. But possibly a inner ear infection? That i believe and make them off balance some times.

My chins now and then will hold on paw in to there bodies. To me i would assume it was hurt or something, but mine have always been fine. - Not to say its always the case.

He's been fine since.. the kids have told me it happened once before.. I think he had been out for quite a while that time as well. So for now I've cut out treats.. he didn't get many but probably more than I think since he steals them from my other chins mouth.. and I've cut his time out of the cage a little shorter.. from what I've read it seems like a seizure and those can be caused by low blood sugar or overheating.. I'm giving this a try anyways. If it was an inner ear infection would he be scratching his ear?

The circling can be a symptom of a inner ear infection and no they don't always scratch it, especially if its deep. I would get him to a vet because untreated inner ear infections can cause permanent damage.

Back