"normal" weight?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PaperMoon

I've had my chins for about a year now, I've never weighed them before....but, I've recently decided to weigh them on a regular basis as a regular "checkup"

Last night, I weighed my two chins. Nana is 625g and Dango is 520g. They're about the same age, but their weight is almost 100g apart!! The beige (Dango) has always been picked on and kind of pushed around by Nana but is the 100g difference "normal"?

How much do your chins weigh? How much does the "runt of the litter" weigh?

There is really no "normal" weight for a chin. Every chin will be different depending on their blood lines, age, nutrition, etc. Even same age chins will have different weights. As long as you don't feel ribs sticking out, you're good.

As far as my adult chins? My smallest breeding male is 590 gm and my largest breeding animal in general (who happens to be a female) is 1200, not pregnant. Everybody else is all over the place in between. :)

well I definitely can't feel any ribs sticking out. But Dango definitely eats less than Nana does.

Dango only eats a small handful of hay a day but Nana devours about 3x as many....should I be worried that Dango's not eating that much hay?

No two chins will eat the exact same amount. As long as he's maintaining weight, doing all the chin things he should be doing, and isn't ribby, he should be fine.

Back