1 1/2 year old Chin soft stools?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmburton

Hi all! I have two chinnies, a 7-8 year old female and a 1 and 1/2 year old female. They get along great and have no problems. When we first got the young one, she had some soft stools but we figured it was because her food had changed and she was in a new place. Over time they went to normal and she was fine.

Over the last week however, her stools have become extremely soft and mushy. Her diet hasn't changed and she hasn't gotten extra treats so I'm not sure what could be causing this. We were gone for a week before last week and had a pet sitter, but she is very good and we have used her for ages. She never overfeeds or over-treats the chinnies. I'm just a little concerned about this.

She is still eating normally, drinking normally, and hopping around normally. She has had no change in behavior, only the change in her stools. Is this something from stress or could there be an underlying cause? I will take her to the vet if there is no improvement, but I thought I'd post it here first.

Thanks in advance.

They get a mix of food: Oxbow Chinchilla Essentials and Vitakraft pellets. They get grass hay mostly, sometimes some timothy hay but mostly grass hay.

As for water bottles, I have two that are cleaned thoroughly every week. I don't add anything to the water as far as supplements or vitamins.

Mixing Vitakraft and Oxbow is kinda like mixing Godiva and Palmer's chocolate. You're mixing junk with good pellets. I would just use the Oxbow and forget the Vitakraft.

As far as the water, what she means by her question is, how do you filter it? Is it reverse osmosis? Do you use a filter that filters out giardia? Or is it just tap water?

Back