3 weeks after spay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

My 4yr old chin had an emergency spay April 10th and they used surgical glue. She did well with not messing/cleaning the incision while it closed up. Lately, she has been cleaning it frequently. She sometimes squeaks while cleaning her tummy as if her cage mate were cleaning her too roughly. There are a few tiny cuts. I'm not sure if she bit herself or if she bit off a scab. I'm also worried about 2 bumps/lumps left from incision. She is acting completely normal with activity, eating, drinking and everything. I was poking her all over her tummy to see how she'd react and i didn't see any sign of pain, but i know they can hide it well. My question is, is it normal/okay for her to being cleaning her tummy so often or could she be doing it because something is wrong internally? Im posting pictures to show her healed incision.

Attachments

• WP_20140430_018.jpg
    WP_20140430_018.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_20140430_017.jpg
    WP_20140430_017.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 24
  • WP_20140430_014.jpg
    WP_20140430_014.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 19
It looks pretty good for being 3 weeks out from surgery. There's a lot of healing going on, and she has a little scar tissue....that's totally normal. I don't see any signs of infection. Small lumps and bumps along the incision are common...normally they go down when the chin is fully healed. Her tummy is probably pretty itchy so cleaning it and paying close attention to the incision should be expected. Because she's acting normally and eating and drinking and making droppings I would say that internally she's probably doing really well.

The itching and bumps are probably the internal sutures. Sometime the body reacts like that. It takes anywhere from 4-9 weeks to fully absorb. It looks great for 3 weeks out.

Back