2 questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayChillas

Puff n' Fluff
So the first one is about my chins peeing on top of their wooden house. I noticed a little spot a while ago and didn't think much of it. Now I think they're continously doing it. Is there any way to stop it? I know that I can clean it and sand the spot down but to do it often isn't my ideal.

The second question is about them eating hay. A little while ago I took them completly off their pellets and just had them on hay to clear up their soft poo. I put them back on a better pellet which they eat fine, but they don't seem to be devouring their hay like they used to. I'm mean, I know that they have something else to eat now so it's obvious that they won't be eating as much hay, but I just want to make sure that their diet is balanced. (I feed them oxbow western timothy hay) I'm not too concerned because they seem to be healthy with everything else - drinking, pooing, eating their pellets, but just wanna make sure.

When I got tired of peed on wood houses I glued a 12x12 tile to the top, problem solved since it can be cleaned right away and they stopped. As far as hay goes, you do have chins who are pellet hogs, you just have to find a hay they like better. Different hays from different farms in different parts of the country make different flavors and textures, try some american pet diner hay, most chins dig it.

Some of our chins pee on their houses and shelves... other than like Dawn said, tiling the top, there really isn't anything you can do. We just end up taking the pee-d on stuff and washing it more often than we would other stuff that's not typically pee-d on. One of our houses that used to get pee-d on was one of those wooden castle ones from the pet store... I actually put carefresh in that little area on top (because it sort of goes down, so it stayed in there) and so that somewhat kept the pee from soaking into the wood.. but then it had to be changed every so often...

As for the hay, I second trying different types. Our chins go nuts for botanical hay and orchard grass, which they mostly get as treat hays. Though, the hay they get daily is a locally grown mix of timothy, alfalfa, orchard, and rye, so they do get some of that mixture through their daily eatings. I have noticed, with giving a variety (as their daily hay) that they eat more of the hay than they used to when I only gave them timothy alone.

Back