Guard/shield for water bottle that has a flat surface and valve?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kula

Pokemon Master
(TL;DR - skip to the end)

One of my chinchillas enjoys attacking the long metal spout of water bottles. It's not that the bottles don't produce enough water - I can see a good amount of bubbles pop up as she drinks from them. The problem is she developed a "game" where she ambushes the metal tube that's sticking into her cage. As she tears around the cage during her crazy time, she sees the tube from the corner of her eye and dives at it, whacking it with her little t-rex paws and biting it. She never attacks the plastic part of the bottle - just the metal tube part, especially the sides. She makes more noise attacking it than running in the wheel!

So I bought her a different type of bottle that has a valve instead of a tube with a ball. The metal part containing the valve is much shorter than the typical tube/ball kind, so she doesn't attack it. The bottle is held flat against the side of her cage, so even if she did attack, she wouldn't be able to knock it around. This worked great for almost a week, until she got curious and bit a tiny hole at the bottom corner of the bottle.

Before I order the same bottle again, I need to find a place that sells a shield/guard. I checked my local stores, but they only sell guards for round bottles. This is the only guard I could find online. Has anybody ordered from ChinWorld or heard about any problems with them? Know of any other sites selling something like this?

TL;DR:
I'm looking for a guard/shield for a 16 oz "square" water bottle that lays flat against the cage. The water bottle has a horizontal valve, rather than a tube/ball. I can only find guards for round bottles at my local stores. This is the only guard I could find online. Has anybody ordered from ChinWorld or heard about any problems with them? Know of any other sites selling something like this?

Thanks!

have you tried fitting a glass bottle to the current valve spout? might work, and might mean less metal that she'd be prone to attacking, lol.

If she's not a fleece chewer that might be a viable option. I have a water bottle chewer and I just made a fleece cover to fit my bottle and she doesn't bother it anymore.

*I have ordered from Chinworld and haven't had any problems at all with them.*

I have some of those shields for 8 oz & 16 oz bottles they work very well. The only problem is if you don't tighten the wing nuts once in awhile they come off.

While I don't have an answer for your order. I keep my bottles safely attached to the cage by placing a piece of metal wire between the bottle and cage.

Cut a piece of cage wire bigger then the bottle. Keep in mind the wires holes must be small enough so the chin cannot bite through it to get to the bottle when placed on the cage.

If you use metal cloth wire you can just cut the hole in the area where you want the sipper to come through. ( metal cloth has really small holes and thus you would have to cut a hole for the sipper end )
Then attach the wire to the cage with read ties, soft wire, pipe cleaners etc. Place the sipper through the hole and attach the bottle with your spring holder. I have tried fleece and it doesn't work for me. No problems with this set up! :thumbsup:

Back