Hanging wood slelves..?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about a wooden swing or a shelf?

If you are talking about a shelf, it doesn't look like those would be very sturdy as there really isn't anything to stabilize it to the cage.

i know with Rhino, he doesn't like shelves that move when he jumps on them (there's one on one cage door that wiggles slightly due to the door moving a tad), so i use the hanger bolt/washer/wing nut combo that many other members here use. i think with that screw i see the potential for the shelf coming loose when a chin jumps on it.

i didn't even think of that, thanks! guess it's better than finding it out with Simba falling or getting startled.

I have used those (or something simlar) before. Back when I just had my one chin I didn't own a drill. I used the ones like you posted but had a pointy end so it could easily be screwed into the pine. I made long shelves what went from one side of the cage to the other and put two screws on the back of the shelf and one on each end. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to close the curved end on each of the screws once I had everything where I wanted it. If I needed to move the shelves I just used the needle nose pliers to open it back up. It was easy enough and the shelves didn't move much, if at all, once them screws were closed.

thanks for all the input! i'm just going to go with chinnymom's way of doing it to make sure he likes it and not go through an unnecessary process.

Back