what to do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
hey all,

as y'all may know, i love spoiling my lil Rhino, lol. here is his current cage (see, spoiled!). what can i do to it to make it even better for the lil man of my house?

Image0570.jpg

pretty soon he'll be getting a real house (instead of the log house he never uses any more), and i am also designing a stand for the cage that will be on wheels and will incorporate a shelf or two underneath for storage, and then i can reclaim my desk drawers for 'desk stuff', lol.

saving up some extra pesos in the Rhino fund for one Tanya! (i don't want to dip into any of the vet funds or else he'd have one already). and as you know, shipping to our lovely country is painful, lol. i've been cruising the local classifieds too, in hopes of finding one for sale.

I don't know, but I think it looks great! What a spoiled little bugger. I love the wooden bottom. Did you build that yourself?

i did Ratchilla. this cage is actually a cat cage, and came with a plastic base that i knew would soooo not work with Rhino (he's a plastic addict!), so i built the bottom with pine boards and a sheet of plywood (don't worry, Rhino can't get at the plywood at all). it's hard to tell, but it has casters underneath too, to make moving it around easy when i need to vacuum the floor around the cage. had to make that front board a drop-down on hinges, because the bottom cage door hinges exactly a half inch lower than the front board. best part is, if i have to move the cage somewhere other than home, the whole wire part will fold up and stick barely out of the base, woo hoo!

i did Ratchilla. this cage is actually a cat cage, and came with a plastic base that i knew would soooo not work with Rhino (he's a plastic addict!), so i built the bottom with pine boards and a sheet of plywood (don't worry, Rhino can't get at the plywood at all). it's hard to tell, but it has casters underneath too, to make moving it around easy when i need to vacuum the floor around the cage. had to make that front board a drop-down on hinges, because the bottom cage door hinges exactly a half inch lower than the front board. best part is, if i have to move the cage somewhere other than home, the whole wire part will fold up and stick barely out of the base, woo hoo!

Well you did an amazing job. I wish I had skills like that (or more so the tools). I just tell my b/f what I want and him and his dad make it. :laughitup:

Yeah, I saw the drop down portion with the latches and the hinges. It really is just a nice piece. I would have made the bottom out of something like plywood as well because when dealing with corners you can easily make it so that they can't get to it. But mainly because if it gets nasty it's easier to swap out. Not to mention pine only comes in 12 in width here. It would be a pain to try and figure that one out.

i did consider making the base bottom out of wide boards, but figured that would make it way too dang heavy to move around. i may need to switch out the plywood in the not too distant future, because my delay on getting the tile floor completed in there has meant a little bit of pee soaking through his fleece liner onto the plywood. it doesn't smell bad or look stained, but time will eventually make it yucky if Rhino continues his habit of missing the litter pan (sometimes i think he does it on purpose just so i can do more laundry! lol). i'll probably give it a peroxide wipe down one of these days soon, just to ensure there are no germs harboring under there.

i'm very lucky to have my dad's garage only 3 blocks away, and he's a tool hoarder, so i've got everything at my disposal, lol. i actually built this base at my apartment though (i have more tools than the average gal, lol). the neighbours across the street probably laughed their butts off at my not so flawless sawing skills out on the patio when i was making it though, hahaha!

I would say that the only thing Mr Rhino is missing is another chin friend:p tehehe

one day Keshia, he will have a brother to romp around that huge cage with :)) just have to find the exact right chin first! i do have a friend one province away that has offered me one of her chins, but the issue of getting him here is road-blocking both of us, ugh.

Back