where do i get shelving?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
Hey i was wondering where i could buy online good shelves for my chinchilla because i want to replace the metal shelving that came with the cage that i have now with lots of wooden ones that will allow more space and fun for BamBam =) please helpp meee, thank youu

Shelves are actually pretty easy to make yourself but if you want to buy them check out the Classifieds section. There is a master list of trusted vendors there.

okay if i were to make them myself where could i get the wood? and what types of wood work well for the shelves? and would i have to sandpaper the shelves to make them smooth?

you want kiln dried pine boards to make shelves with. you'll also need hanger bolts, wing nuts, and washers. there is a tutorial kicking around here somewhere, should be able to find it with the search function.

i get my boards at home depot in the moulding section. they are already nice and smooth so sanding is not necessary. i cut them to the size i want at home (while the neighbours get a kick out of my hilarious sawing skills, lol), and i don't usually bother with sanding down the cut edges - Rhino's teeth sand them down for me once the shelves are in the cage.

and would i have to sandpaper the shelves to make them smooth?
No, they do a great job with their teeth. I just go get KD pine boards, chop them up and bolt or hang them in the cage. :))

ps, you can also use fender washers and galvanized screws. This is how I hang my shelves ever since I gored myself with a shelf that had a wingnut capped bolt.

Back