fleece???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
ive noticed just about everyone on here uses fleece for their chinchillas but i was wondering wont that make them get too hot? i want to get my chinchilla a hammock or bed but i want to be sure that the fleece wont cause him to over heat because we recently had a scare with him overheating and followed up with purchasing an ac but i dont want that to happen again :hmm:

Fleece doesn't radiate heat, so no it won't cause him to overheat. They overheat when the ambient temperature is not controlled. Obviously, you discovered that and had to purchase an air conditioner which you probably should have had since the beginning. They also know when they're getting too hot and they will remove themselves from warmer parts of the cage. As someone told me "they don't cook themselves".

That's what I figured too, that they wouldn't wrap themselves in fleece if it was too hot for them. Chinchy likes to burrow under his fleece liner, and I always think that he's the best judge of what's comfortable. Since you've got air conditioning and are keeping it at a comfortable temperature, it shouldn't be an issue.

The heat index was well over 100 degrees for several days here but it was a cool 67 degrees in our finished basement where the chins are and I have LOTS of fleece in their cages. So as long as you keep the temperature in the room where your chin is located to a very cool temperature, preferably under 72 degrees, he should be fine with fleece in his cage.

Back