shopping for hay online...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
I use timothy hay and orchard grass. I bought big bags right before I got Maci in at the end of May. It is starting to get low and I will probably have to get it local again, I get almost all my pets supplies, toys and even my cats food online and have it delivered. The prices are always better than the stores. Of course none of the shops I have been using sell hay or Chin stuff.

Anyone buy their hay online for good prices? Any recommendations?

Have you tried your local feed stores for Standlee hay products? Check their site and see if there is somewhere nearby that sells the hay. Some stores carry all their products, some carry an abbreviated line, but it couldn't hurt to check. Their hay is incredibly reasonable and you won't have to pay shipping. They also have cubes.

I'll look at the feed store out by my parents house. As far as I know there is no feed store anywhere near me. Just chain pet stores and smaller specialty shops for reptiles, fish, etc.

There is 2 feed stores by them, which is about 1/2 hr 45 minutes from my house. I suppose if I find some at either I can just make my mom or sister pick it up for me and drop it off. They both drive by my house 5 days a week for work :laughitup:

I like Drs. Foster & Smith. They have all Oxbow hays and American Pet Diner Timothy.

You can also check out Kleenmamas hayloft. Never used her hay, but people seem to like it.

I have used hay from my local feed store (cheap!), Oxbow, and just received my first shipment of KMS Hayloft hay. The KMS hay is the best quality of the three, from what I can tell. It was a little over $40 shipped for 45 lbs of hay.

I recently bought 9 lbs of 2nd cut timothy from KMS Hayloft. It was much softer compared to the Petsmart ones.
My chins still prefer eating orchard grass though. I guess they're just picky.

Do you have a tractor supply? They carry the brand of hay peggy is talking about in small, compressed bales.

I buy the bluegrass/alfalfa mix from Kleenmama and timothy from Oxbow (Foster&Smith is my source). They are both reasonably priced and I buy in bulk...right now I have about 25lbs on hand and that will last me quite awhile. I definitely recommend Kleenmama...Oxbow has been okay but each bag is a different quality and the hay can sometimes be dusty. Good luck!

I've been getting hay from DrsFosterandSmith so far, but I'm not satisfied with the amount of Orchard Grass they have. You can get it in 15 oz., 40 oz., 25 lbs, or 50 lbs. The 9 pound amount would be perfect, as I have no idea where I would store 25 lbs of hay. I think I'll be getting hay from KMS Hayloft next time, although we're also going to check out the tractor supply in our area.

Back