how to build our own cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a cage we built ourselves, and did two jumpholes in between the top and the bottom of the cage. It allows access from either the top or the bottom, but if we need to seperate them, as we have already, we can very easily slide a pan in over both of the holes and we are good. So, yes, jump holes are a good idea, In my opinion.

How big are your jump holes? In the cage I am building ours usually are about 5"x7" at the smallest and he has to go up vertically 12" in order to get to the next level. Do you think that is doable or should we be putting in ledges underneath the holes to help him get from level to level?

We are in the process of building our own cage right now. My fiance' is a sheet metal worker so he has all the tools. The frame is pine, the sides are the rolls of cage metal from lowes, the back is metal. Most of the shelves will be wood covered in metal. He has a metal brake, so he can bend anything, so any exposed wood will be covered.

I have to admit though, if he wasnt so handy and didnt like projects, I would probably just have invested in one of the FN cages. The money we are spendng is comparable, but of course ours will be much bigger and custom.
And according to him just the satisfaction of him making it is worth it!!

Here is a picture of how it is framed out. We did add 2 alcoves on each side for sleeping areas. The cage will be split down the middle vertically cause our two boys dont seem to get along too well and I dont want to take chances.

Attachments

• chins 005.jpg
    chins 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 60
I built my cage and it was very simple! I used KD Pine, rolled wire and ceramic tiles for the flooring. I'd say the overall cost was around $80. I really like it because it's safe for the boys to chew on and I can easily replace any wood part if necessary. Here's a pic:

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

Bottom
DSC00522.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any questions!!
Could you send me detailed instructions on how you built your cage? It looks fantastic! :)

Back