"puffing"?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljm94

So I have never heard a chinchilla sneeze until today (I think its a sneeze?).
My chinchilla had an eye irritation last night so I took her to the vets today and got eye drops. Her eye is just irritated, not poked or infected. After all this I noticed her "puffing". Maybe I hadn't noticed this before but my doctor said it could be that she is having allergy problems from the dust or we just brought it on from messing with her (she's a tough one to get to sit still)

I use fleece liners, I use organic detergent, no softener or dryer sheets, I don't use sprays in the chin's room. The only thing I can think of is that I gave her a dust bath recently (2 days ago), and she always gets "crusties" in the corner of her eye from that.
So should I change from Blue Cloud to Blue Sparkle? Or sprinkle the dust bath on her from now on? Also, is a faint "puff" noise (not a bark) a sneeze?

PS she is not wheezing, the vet did check her breathing, ears, both eyes, mouth and nose. All but the one eye was good.

I have had ones with allergies, do you have anything flowering near the window to their room or the a/c unit?

We have no flowers in the house and all liners are washed in organic detergent with no softener. I have 2 other chinchillas and they aren't having any issues, they are separated from the sick one (they don't get along very well yet).

Last edited:
One of my chins sneezes sometimes after dusting. I figure some dust just gets up in her nose. Definitely sounds like a little sneeze though.

Back