Hanging wood chew with bell

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemychingary

I recently bought a hanging wood chew for Gary to gnaw on.. It has a bell on the bottom which seems like it attracts Gary just as much as the wood does.. Is this bell safe for him? I'm nervous that he will somehow hurt himself by either gnawing on the bell itself or getting the part that hits the bell to make it ring off and choking.. Should I be concerned or is this ok for him?

I purchased some toys from someone on this forum about 3 years ago with bells at the bottom so far no problem, (knock on wood). Maybe someone else can give you more information on them.

It's really hard to say. Every animal is different. Of course all I can say is just supervise. I have some birds that bells are just fine, but others would take it apart piece by piece. I have heard of some chins that actually enjoy their bells.

you could take some needle nose pliers and make sure that the bell clapper (the metal 'stick' piece inside the bell) is attached firmly.

I bought Rhino a toy once that had a bell at the end of the chain. the clapper wasn't attached securely at all, and i couldn't get it snug enough in there for me to feel safe leaving the clapper in, so i took it out. just so happens that Rhino ignores this one particular toy, lol!

I just bout toys with bells and my one chin Wolf had it completely apart in the cage when i woke up the next day..luckily all the parts were in the cage still..he is one smart little bogger

I had a chin who destroyed the bell after being fine with it for several years. I though she ate the clapper because I never found it. An xray proved that she hadn't eaten it, but I was worried for awhile. I took all my bells off after that experience.

Bella has a toy with a bell on it, but she doesn't even seemed interested in any part of the toy at all.. she'd rather chew on her large wood ball thing instead.

Back