I love my demon chins...really

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damanta

But I am getting SO frustrated with them. As I've mentioned in the past, my little girl is THE epitome of evil in chinchilla form. I got the Bass pans because I was tired of tons of shavings all over the floor. At first, it was amazing. Then my little Angel seemed to get bored with not dumping shavings a poo all over the floor. She now piles shavings next to the edge of the pan, and turns and kicks them out of the cage. I'm going to be buying a fleece liner soon, but I felt it necessary to vent. I swear, she's a she-devil. The worst part is, Demon is starting to do it too, only he waits until the dogs or cats are near the cage and THEN does it, so the others are covered in shaving. AHHH:banghead::cry3:

My chins do the same thing. I went away on a trip and had my brother check on them everyday. I had only been going two nights and when I returned- there was a huge mess of shavings on the floor! It's just all with the territory. I have to sweep around my cages daily. It is a normal chin thing when they get bored, however, I understand your frustration. They can be such messy little critters...

The sad thing is, I'm pretty much used to it. I've had my fuzzballs for 3 1/2 years. I *thought* the bass pans would be a gods-send but...not so much. haha, just complaining like I said.

Haha, yes, I guess you would be used to it!! I've only had my chins for a year this October. I ordered the Bass pans right away and thought the same thing you did! I guess our chins just said, "Oh great, I just have to kick a little higher now!!" LOL!

I had the same problem until I switched to newspaper. Poop still gets kicked out, but it's a lot easier to clean up than hundreds of little shavings clinging to the carpet. I add extra layers that are still folded to the corners and cover them with open pages. Since my chinchillas go nuts and run around a lot, I use heavy cardboard tubes and tile to hold the newspaper in place - if there isn't anything holding the pages down, their cage ends up looking like a hobo shack >_<

Back