Samson </3

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an emergency vet lined up. The vet was not in that particular night. And as quickly as he passed, a vet couldn't have saved my boy.

You said he didn't pass on until a few hours after you found him in his condition. You could have found an emergency vet in that time.

I'd have more than one emergency vet lined up anyways. You never know when those kinds of things (the vet not being there, ect.) are going to happen.

Now you know, I suppose...

No, I found him deceased after 3 hours, most likely already for an hour or so, the ER vet is an hour and a half away. As much as I miss my baby, there is nothing I could have done to save him. All three of my ER vets do not have exotic vets in at night, they couldn't do anything more than what I could do at home to be honest. He would've just passed in a vet's office instead of with me.

Last edited:
You really should get things looked into you have lost a lot in a short amount of time. An illness can cause breeding complications and many times different animals can display different symptoms. I know with a big group of animals loss is enevitable butwith as many losses as youhave had with your few animals in such a short time you have something going on there. Food issues, water issues or a flat out illness but something isn't right

A lot of deaths? 2... but my water is purified, I feed Barnett's chinchilla pellets, I use pine bedding, and I feed treats once a week. What else do you need to know? Sam's death was not connected to breeding whatsoever. I'm leaning towards internal injury as he showed NO signs until hours before his death. He was eating and pooping until the last minute.

I'm leaning towards internal injury as he showed NO signs until hours before his death.

But you don't know. How do you figure internal injury? You didn't get a necropsy done so you will never know.

I would have sucked it up and got the necropsy done so I knew what the heck was going on with my herd. He was Esperanza's mate, Mikayla, and now they've both passed away. I hope to God that if this happens to another one of your chins that you will put your feelings aside and get to the bottom of this.

Esperanza died of bloat which was a side effect of her spay. He hasn't been with Anza for two months anyway. I'm guessing internal injury because he was fine until it hit him suddenly, he showed no signs of injury externally. You're right, I will never know. But that's the price I paid, whether it was good or bad, to let Samson rest in peace.

Think they might also be considering your kit losses, since they weren't all that long ago.

You've been a member here since August, and have had 4 chinchilla deaths that you've posted about in the memorial section. In such a short time frame with a small number of chins, that is a lot of deaths and is usually an indication that there is something going on, be it in your husbandry or your care of the animals.

Also, Cassi has a point in the fact you should have gotten your chinchilla to the vet, regardless of whether there was an exotic on or not. Any one of them could have called the exotic vet to see if he'd come in, or if nothing else could have put the chinchilla humanely to sleep without having him suffer. If you, are your parents, are unwilling to take an animal to where it can get the help it needs when it needs it, you need to re-evaluate having chins in general. There are some things that can potentially be treated at home or with the help of a mentor, but when you have an established breeder who has dealt with more than her share of issues telling you to get to the vet, you should have been in the car, going, even if it meant he passed while in the car. At least you would have been making an attempt.

Ah, kit losses, Avery's death was unknown, he just wasn't making it after I weaned him, he lost weight, and wasn't drinking. I seriously believe he just wasn't able to make it after I weaned him, he was 'heartbroken' so to speak. And the other was a breach baby who was stillborn.

Maybe I should've gotten him to a vet. But he was lethargic, a sign of illness, but usually not a sign of IMMEDIATE death. When you told me to take him to the vet, I thought you meant the next morning, which we were going to do. Maybe I misunderstood, but this was the outcome either way.

Can we please not discuss this again? My heart is already broken, and I don't need to be eaten alive by guilt, which I shouldn't feel.

I didn't mean myself, I meant Peggy. However, you were told to get out of chat and get to the vet then, not in the morning, because we couldn't diagnose your chin.

A lot of kit deaths is a big sign something is going on, the very young, the very old andthe comprimised (pregnant) are the first to have issues. When I had a water issue 2 years ago I lost a string of new kits. had several tough deliveries and lost a few older animals. some kit loss is expected but you losing 4 animals is half your group. Something isnt right at your house

Well, I don't understand what I am doing wrong then. I use purified water, feed Barnett's chinchilla pellets, which a lot of breeders here use, they always have hay, and I use pine bedding. I do want to find out what is wrong, but I cannot pinpoint anything wrong. I will start another thread to discuss this, so that this thread can get back on track. :)

we found even filtering the water ddnt work. Mineral content is still too high here I am back to buying water

Back