"gunk" from her back end?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rimbaum

I noticed that Freya's had some small poops the last couple days, so I wanted to give her a stomach massage. But when I (finally) managed to pick her up and get a good look at her, I noticed this sort of... gunk, like a whitish-clear discharge, coming from her vagina. She got really fidgety and I had to put her back so I didn't hurt her, but the gunk has me worried. I got her from a neighbor of my boyfriend's who had been attempting to breed her, so my biggest worry is that I'm going to wind up with baby chins!

Since I put her back, I noticed that she's been sitting up and trying to clean that area, even biting at her fur. Is this normal? Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Biggest, most important question: Should I be taking Freya to the vet? It's not something that I can really afford since migraines have been making me miss work, but I do not want to lose my chinchilla and I will make it fit into my budget if I must.

Sorry if I missed it, is this a new chin? Is she eating, drinking and acting normally?

If you could, can you see if the discharge has a smell to it?

I know some females will have a bit of discharge when they go into heat, but if it's a lot or smells it can be a sign of an infection.

Sorry if I missed it, is this a new chin? Is she eating, drinking and acting normally?

If you could, can you see if the discharge has a smell to it?

I know some females will have a bit of discharge when they go into heat, but if it's a lot or smells it can be a sign of an infection.

I've had Freya for almost two months now. She's eating and drinking normally, and she's definitely active (lol, woke me up last night moving her coconut shell around and redecorating her cage).

I didn't know that they had discharge when they went into heat. I'll see if I can get her to let me hold her long enough to see if the discharge smells. I didn't see a whole lot, but I didn't get a very good look, either.

I'll post as soon as I get another look/sniff!

EDIT: I got a look at her, didn't notice any more discharge, but that may have been because she's been grooming herself pretty thoroughly. I also didn't notice any smell. I'm going to keep an eye on her. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Last edited:
If she becomes lethargic, goes off her food, starts to produce discharge which is bloody, yellowish, thick & creamy or dark brown then take her straight to the vets.
She may just be having a heavy oestrus but it is definitely worth keeping a close eye on her.

Good luck & please do keep us posted.

If she becomes lethargic, goes off her food, starts to produce discharge which is bloody, yellowish, thick & creamy or dark brown then take her straight to the vets.
She may just be having a heavy oestrus but it is definitely worth keeping a close eye on her.

Good luck & please do keep us posted.

*takes note* I will try to check her morning and night. Lucky for me, her cage is right next to the couch, so I can watch her play (ah, studio apartments...) and notice if she's being lethargic.

My chin is having the same issue, except the discharged doesn't really seem like it's coming out more just like sitting around the area, I see her cleaning her self a lot which could be the reason why. I've been watching her eat and drink, which is all normal, along with the poo. The only difference is, is that my chin is suppose to be pregnant...

My chin is having the same issue, except the discharged doesn't really seem like it's coming out more just like sitting around the area, I see her cleaning her self a lot which could be the reason why. I've been watching her eat and drink, which is all normal, along with the poo. The only difference is, is that my chin is suppose to be pregnant...

I recall hearing that chins can conceive while they're already pregnant with one litter. I'm guessing that's why?

Back